Author Topic: My Bushboy bow gets her name  (Read 11970 times)

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
My Bushboy bow gets her name
« on: January 16, 2015, 10:43:21 pm »
Went walking to the top of my hill to see if the regular doe crowd was bedding down to wait out the eavy snow coming. A complete white out rolls in and I could not see anything passed 15 yards. Wind ing my face I kept moving until I couldnt see anymore. I leaned on a tree and seconds later a gun shot rang out nearby. I looked up and there were 3 doe right in front of me, snow covered backs and heads walking slowly by. I nocked an arrow and 10 feet in front of me this little doe pops out trotting along. I quick drew to nearly full draw and she began to spring forward to flee so I let the arrow fly. In hindsight I should have checked my surroundings instead of locking on the first deer I saw and I should have judged the animal I was aiming at better. I thought she was one of the larger doe that seem to run the show. But in the storm I shot and hit her far back, hitting her liver. arrow zipped through as if she was not there and stuck in a tree. With the heavy falling snow blood trail disappeared in a matter of minutes so I tried staying low and moving quiet in her foot prints. She was heading down hill towards the stream, I decided to try and cut her off at the bend. I ran as fast as I could, it paid off and I found her as she lau down. I waited with her in rushing winds and blinding snow talking to her gently. She rested her head and I felt it was the time to move in and help her move on. As I pulled her out of the woods the wind died almost completely, the snow slowed considerably and I realized I had wandered way off course and into a different property. A quick chat with the home nearby to make sure I was not causing trouble. the woman I talked to said no problem, the snow was thick, and posted signs are down. I promised to help her hang some new ones for her understanding. I love to hunt in a good snow fall but today was a bit much. I learned some things and hopefully I can get a better hold of myself to remain calm under pressure. That being said I am a happy hunter and have a freezer full as proof of a good time. I have decided that this gorgeous, smooth shooting dream bow skillfully made by bushboy will be named quick stick. Shes resting for this weekends adventures. Thanks for reading, sorry for the long post!
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline Chief RID

Re: My Bushboy bow gets her name
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 12:35:36 am »
Can't argue with success. Congrats on a good deer with that aptly named bow. Any more details on the gun shot? I would have been in the snow burrowing like a field mouse.

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 07:04:03 am »
I havent spoken to them yet but I am pretty sure one of my neighbors shot at the group of does that ended up in fromt of me. 
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline RyanR

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 08:45:28 am »
Nice job!

Offline bushboy

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 04:06:59 pm »
Nice work john! 8)always nice to know something I crafted is still in one piece!lol!cool story and slick name!thx's rob!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 07:35:32 pm »
 Nice harvest in tough conditions, thats the kinda hunt that makes memories, very cool.
 Good deer and a nice looking bow too, congrats. :)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 08:12:25 pm »
Cool story, nice bow and congratulations on a fine deer.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 10:26:49 pm »
Thanks you guys, was a very cool day lots of learning and a great time.

Rob, the bow held together great, the darn tip popped off when I slipped and wacked it on a log. almost teared up for a minute but an easy fix and she was back out in the woods! I really cant express how awesome it was to use such a great bow from you and have more meat in the freezer just tops off my hunting season.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 12:06:02 pm »
Congrats to you both. Aint nuttin better for the bowyer or the hunter.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 01:37:50 pm »
Congratulations to both of you.  Fine deer and a beautiful bow.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 06:08:41 am »
Congrats ,well done. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline okie64

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2015, 07:21:09 pm »
Nice deer in harsh conditions! Congrats

Offline PeteC

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2015, 11:16:03 am »
Sounds like an awesome hunt to me ,and one heck of a way to break in your new shooter. Congrats. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2015, 04:56:12 pm »
Congrats on the doe . Well done Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Ken S

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2015, 09:54:02 pm »
I love a good hunting story!Nice job