Author Topic: Making Bow Socks: a build-along  (Read 17202 times)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Making Bow Socks: a build-along
« on: January 19, 2008, 06:58:53 pm »
My wife was making up a bunch of bow socks, thought we'd document it as a build-along for those of you who haven't tried making them. Bow socks are cheap, easy, and quick to make; and do a good job of protecting your hand-made weaponry.

First you need some material. I snagged this camo blanket from the bargain bin at WallyWorld for four bucks and change. At 72" x 90", it's big enough to make a pile of these things. Old blankets, fleece throws, etc. all work well and can be found cheap at yard sales, or stolen for free from your wife's closet.  :) Fleece fabric can usually be found fairly cheap at fabric shops. As long as it's a few inches longer than your bow, you're in business.

Now cut out your piece the size you want it. She cut these about 72" long by 8" wide, seems to be a good all-around size. A static recurve might need a bit wider one, but these dimensions will work with most bows. Just mark the width from the edge in several places and connect the dots.

When you get it cut out, fold it in half, inside out, and pin it together to hold it in position while you're sewing it.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 07:04:11 pm by Hillbilly »
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Making Bow Socks: a build-along
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 07:22:26 pm »
Next, if your material is something that wants to unravel after you cut it, run a small hem around the edges. Then sew up the bottom. Be sure to sew the bottom really well, as this is where most of the stress will be at when a bow is living in it. Tina is using a sewing machine here, but you can easily sew it up by hand-just a little slower. 

Now start sewing up the side, working from the bottom up. You can sew right over the pins. Stop sewing about 3 1/2" or so from the top end.

If you want a drawstring, sew it in now. Just lay it along the top edge and sew a hem over it. Be careful not to sew the drawstring to the fabric-you want it to move freely inside the hem. You can also sew the drawstring in earlier before you pin the fabric up-whatever works best for you. This is a piece of latigo leather thong about two feet long-any kind of strong cord will work.. You can also use elastic cord with one of those little push-button plastic hooeys.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 07:24:22 pm by Hillbilly »
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 07:29:47 pm »
....Very nice indeed .....bob

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 07:32:18 pm »
Turn the sock back right-side-out. Remove the pins first. If you don't you'll be sorry when you reach in there to turn it.Don't ask me how I know this.  ::) Tina is using wooden beads for drawstring cinches-you want the hole in the bead to fit tightly over the thongs so it will stay cinched up. Tie a knot so that the bead can't come off, but leaving enough room to allow the end of the sock to open completely. You can get all fancy and add smaller beads to the ends of the thongs for decoration, or just leave it all plain and boring-looking.

If you're making several at one time, it's quicker to go through the process assembly-line style- cut out several and take them all through each step before moving on to the next one. Here's a few of the finished products:

« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 07:41:39 pm by Hillbilly »
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 07:34:34 pm »
Thankee, Bob.
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 07:41:25 pm »
......................... Oh I forgot -I likes ya trout mount also ! Ya do it ?  ;D.............bob

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 07:43:54 pm »
Did the catching, not the mounting. :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 07:45:15 pm »
Great buildalong Hillbilly. Now everyone is going to look at the price on bow socks and say "ARE YOU KIDDING ME."   Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2008, 08:20:51 pm »
Nice socks Steve, now how do ya get the wife to sew ::) don't tell me I have
to learn to run a sewing machine next eh ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

tradrick

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 12:44:46 am »
Yet another way to do it yourself and save a few dollars.That's what I love about this site.Good job.tradrick

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2008, 04:17:11 pm »
Perfect timing - been wanting to make one of those socks.  Great job - thanks!
Mike B.
Central Washington State
"Take a kid hunting, it'll make a WORLD of difference" -me