Author Topic: Hazel dimensions  (Read 12145 times)

Offline Lucasade

Re: Hazel dimensions
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2015, 11:53:02 am »
I marked it up like this so I had a good centre line to work from (as featured in the Bowyer's Diary at some point  ::) ) because I've never had to mark up wood following the grain before. The plan now is to make sure the edges are at right angles to the belly before reducing the thickness. I'll obviously check the width again after it's seasoned and before tillering. So far I've only found two knots in the entire half log and they should both disappear when I get the thickness down.

I realise that all of the marking will disappear when I start reducing the thickness so I've kept the template paper with all the measurements. As I get better I will probably do it all differently and more efficiently!

Offline WillS

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2015, 01:02:03 pm »
Sounds good!

Looking at the stave I'd have probably just laid it out straight, rather than following the grain.  It's stuff like sudden kinks or larger bends that you need to worry about, as compared to a long gentle wavy line.  Your way is undoubtedly stronger and more reliable however.  It just means you might be spending ages removing bends with heat.

Then again, you might not need to touch it.  It looks like the tips and handle are damn close to lining up already.

Offline Lucasade

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2015, 01:15:21 pm »
The bows on here that I like the best follow the grain and have some wavy edges - to me it shows it came from a tree and not a plank. I don't mind spending ages on something I enjoy doing - especially as heat treating for me will be sitting in front of a fire.  :)

Offline WillS

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2015, 01:18:59 pm »
You're so primitive :P

Offline Lucasade

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2015, 01:26:40 pm »
It's not entirely voluntary - we do have a heat gun but it belongs to my wife's chocolate business and she's banned me from using it for non-food purposes  >:( Still, when life gives you lemons  :)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 06:17:16 pm by Lucasade »

Offline Lucasade

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2015, 04:29:08 am »
I took the thickness down last night:

I used the thickness measurements for a 90lb bow on the Norwegian Warbow site, which I thought would be a good starting point (31mm in the centre, 12mm at the nocks) as I am aiming for less than that. It has started bending on a floor tiller. It's now been weighed and put on top of my wardrobe to finish seasoning.

At the moment one limb is 1" longer than the other, which has all the reflex. I'm intending the longer limb to be the upper one but would it be better for the reflexed limb to be the top one? Or doesn't it matter?

I also noticed a couple of potential problem areas on the belly which I would appreciate any advice on please:

The intention is to heat treat the belly, which presumably is best done mid way through tillering so that I don't just scrape off all the heat treated layer?

Oh, and I've sorted my shave horse problem too...

« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 05:53:58 am by Lucasade »

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2015, 05:39:41 am »
I'd probably the problem areas for now as they look pretty minor.
The small knot on the belly can maybe be picked out if there is loose stuff, but no point until after heat treat.
Yes, with heat treating, get it flexing to maybe half draw first.
Put the middle in the middle, don't over think it or just ignore the 1" difference... it hardly matters on a bow that long.
Similarly don't define which limb is which until it's 90% finished. I've flipped several bows quite late in the build, and some have been flipped one way then back again.
I once had Robert Hardy tell me by bow was 'upside down' because the lower limb looked weak. I popped off the string and showed him it was just natural deflex... you can make up your own mind. But bear in mind the lower limb is usually a bit shorter and thus it has to bend tighter, if it starts reflexed relative to the top limb, then it's having to bend even tighter still. So my bow may have look odd, but the lower limb wasn't over stressed.
If you want to match the limbs a bit better, then during heat treat, you could take out the slight reflex, or add a bit to the other limb.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Lucasade

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2015, 05:48:16 am »
Sounds like I may have been over analysing - I was thinking lower limb needs to be stiffer therefore use the shorter one. I'll wait and see what happens during heat treating!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2015, 06:06:49 am »
Sounds like I may have been over analysing - I was thinking lower limb needs to be stiffer therefore use the shorter one. I'll wait and see what happens during heat treating!
Yeah, sound like you had it arse about face.
If the arrow pass is 1" above true centre (which is typical) and the grip is 4" long that gives 3" of grip below the centre and 1" (plus a bit for the arrow above centre. So the lower limb is automatically  2" shorter than the upper.
But there are no hard and fast rules, you can shift the grip and arrow pass to give the best tiller and smoothest shot. It makes most difference on short bows. But just reversing the bow on the tiller can make it look better (or worse!)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Lucasade

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2015, 06:39:42 am »
Okay that makes sense - thank you.

mikekeswick

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2015, 04:12:35 am »
Del is giving sterling advice but those knots look decidedly dodgy to me. The only problems i've had with hazel have been chrysals where there are knots on the belly. Even the remnants of pin knots have caused the rest of the belly to chrysal at that point....these problems have been on bows pushed to the limit but....

Offline Lucasade

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2015, 06:11:40 am »
Would you recommend picking them out and filling with superglue? Or do you think they may be too much for this weight?