Author Topic: Spliced bow from Spotted Gum pickaxe handles  (Read 7728 times)

Offline Julian

Spliced bow from Spotted Gum pickaxe handles
« on: January 17, 2015, 07:54:51 am »
Unfortunately the bow came apart at the splice but I managed to snap a full draw pic before it did

Any advice on tiller or how to make a better splice? I used a W splice. Also would it be possible to reglue the splice and try again? it's the glue that seperated, the bow is fine.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 10:14:18 pm by Julian »

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Spliced bow from Spotted Gum pickaxe handles
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 08:01:59 am »
Bad luck, I've had a splice go and repaired it ok despite having to lose a couple of inches off the bow.
The whole story is on my blog, starting here:-
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/damn-it-smashed-in-my-hand.html
I have a theory that splices go starting from the back and a thin overlay/handle build up on the back over the splice hugely improves the reliability.
Nice slim looking bow... hope you can fix it.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Julian

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 08:21:31 am »
Thanks for the advice Del. I'm just glad the leather wrap stopped the top limb from wacking me a good one. I'll have a go at repairing it and see what happens. It was my first attempt at a splice though so I'm not super disappointed. I tempered my expectations beforehand haha.
This verification is pretty annoying every time you post.

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 11:17:42 am »
Sure looks like a fine bow. Hope you can get it to hold together.

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 03:34:46 pm »
u could also run a couple o pins ( cut arrow shafts) thru the handle. one around ur arrow rest area and near the bottom of the handle
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Hamish

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 07:36:26 pm »
Hi Julian, What type of glue did you use?
As you are using spotted gum, I guess you are in Australia? If so the best glue locally available is techniglue an epoxy, which is much stronger than hardware store quality stuff. It is available from Carbatec specialty wood stores.

If the splice has come apart totally you can, soak it for a couple of days in an old tin filled with acetone, this will dissolve the previous glue. You might need to scrape off some of the old glue periodically, and re soak it.
When the splice is clean you can reglue it. Clean it up when it has set.
To prevent any chance of it coming apart, I would lay down a coat of epoxy all around the splice, then wrap it with a good quality natural string, like you would when serving a string. After it is wrapped, work epoxy into the outside of the string, so it soaks in.
As your bow works through the handle I wouldn't put dowels or pins to secure the splice.
Let me know if you want any more help.
                                                           Hamish

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 07:55:24 pm »
I use hemp cordage for handle wraps. I began these with a similar situation. Now that's all I use. I also use 2ton epoxy thinned with acetone and saturate the hemp wrap. It makes a nice, very strong handle wrap.
 Some tropical woods prevent some finishes from curing because of their chemestry. That might be what happened to the glue you used.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Julian

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 10:12:45 pm »
Thanks everyone. I used regular PVA wood glue from bunnings Hamish, not sure where to acquire anything stronger. Anyway I was thinking about it and I think I've come up with a solution that lets me keep the length of the bow.

The middle tooth of my W splice broke when I seperated the splice, so I re-cut it into a V, and drew up a middle piece on some strong hardwood I had lying around.

So that's my proposed solution dry fit. at the moment I've sized the parts and I'm waiting for that to dry before I give it a shot.

Can anyone see any glaring problems with my idea? Without that middle piece the bow would be getting a bit too short for my liking and I'd have to cut away most of the handle.

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2015, 10:01:37 am »
Wow! I had never thought about it but how would you slice a handle on a bend through the handle bow. I was thinking the slice was 90 degrees in the handle. That is a lot of stress for a splice to handle with only the glue lines to hold it. How else could you do it though? Showing my naivety here.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 02:52:04 am »
Now that is thinking outside the box. It certainly could work, if you got some decent glue(carba tec do mail order).
If it was me I would start another bow with new materials. But I am impressed with your thinking and skills, and as you are a young chap you may not have the resources to get some more pick handles, definitely give it a go, but make sure the glue has enough time to fully cure in the splice(1 week) just to give it max chance of success. If you resurrect it successfully, to brace, then full draw only one or two times I would then do the glue wrap for the whole area.
Whatever the outcome I'm sure you will be making more in the future. Looking forward to see how it turns out.
    Hamish.

Offline Julian

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2015, 02:56:22 am »
I gave it a go and the splice didn't end up fitting very well so I'm just going to save those two limbs for some other occassion and move on. Fortunately I found a bloke in my area selling some trees he cleared in his property and what do you know I now have my hands on a log of Osage. I'll make a new topic to ask for some advice about it

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2015, 10:11:03 am »
If you add an overlay and an underlay at the handle and wrap the handle is should hold for you.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

blackhawk

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2015, 10:19:13 am »
If you add an overlay and an underlay at the handle and wrap the handle is should hold for you.

+1.....that's what I was gonna suggest as well

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2015, 10:22:33 am »
+1
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Benedikt

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2015, 01:58:19 pm »
Which kind of glue did you use?
Im only using epoxy which can hold 200kg/cm², all my splices survived so far.

If you want to be safe, wrap the handle and seal the wraping with glue too.
A dream is not reality, but who is to say which is which?