Author Topic: Photos: HOLY GRAIL Outrepasse Flaking in Memory of Philip Churchill  (Read 17176 times)

AncientTech

My good friend professional flintknapper, Philip Churchill, passed away last May.  We quietly collaborated on studying prehistoric flintknapping technologies, from the Americas, for several years.  My friend was a world class replicator of Danish daggers, due to the high demand for daggers.  But, his real interest was in something that had never been well studied.  After four years of constant research the majority of breakthroughs were made, just a number of months after he passed away. 

Philip would have been thrilled beyond measure to see the following results, which were developed from a theory, based upon known evidence.  In memory of Philip, I am calling it "Holy Grail Outre Passe Flaking", made with a common deer tine, and raw hard chert.

Fourth Test - Re-facing fluted point via Outrepasse/overshot/coast to coast flaking technology "Tine Based Flaking Technology":

Third test - Plunging Distal Overshot - "Tine-based Technology"

As predicted, tine-based process is efficacious in removing outrepasse like flakes.

First Test - "Tine Based Outre Passe Thinning Removal:

Prior to the removal of the outré passé flake, the initial three flakes removed were made with a slight variation of the same process.  They were all more or less "coast to coast".  One in particular is like the diagonal coast to coast flaking seen in some of the Drake cache points:

After four years of research, my conclusion is that the common deer tine is a viable tool that can be used to create late stage outré passé flaking, and late stage coast to coast flaking, with only very minor variations in the flaking process. 

Also, as predicted, the coast to coast flakes are flatter, whereas the outré passé flake shows more of an arc.  And, as predicted, one particular quality of the support led to both the arcing of the flake scar, as well as the removal of the opposite edge, which constitutes true outré passé/overshot flaking. 

Thus, the theory proved successful, which means that these effects can be created, and controlled at will, while using only a common deer tine. 

I only regret that these developments had been achieved in the third year of study, before my good friend died. 

Here are the results of the second test:

Raw Agatized Coral - Extremely hard, and crystal-like

Once again, the tine-based process proves efficacious in edge eating outré passé removals, as had been predicted via theory. 

« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 08:52:48 am by AncientTech »

Offline Sasquatch

Re: Photos: Holy Grail Outre Passe Flaking in the Memory of Philip Churchill
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 03:55:30 pm »
 Thanks for posting, and welcome to the forum.  I wont be able to reply on all that it is just to advanced for me  :o.   but maybe others will.  I like the picks.

Offline Tower

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 04:18:01 pm »
I would love to see a you tube on your process.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Zuma

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 10:29:53 pm »
They look more like overshot flakes, Ben.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

AncientTech

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 11:00:27 pm »
To Zuma:

Overshot/outrepasse/plunging termination - occurs when the applied force dips and removes a section of the opposite margin of the artifact or the distal end of the core. Also referred to as a reverse hinge termination.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Termination_type

Andrefsky, William, Jr. (1998) Lithics: Macroscopic approaches to analysis. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.

Overshot-Outrepasse, it is the same thing.

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
Re: Photos: Holy Grail Outre Passe Flaking in Memory of Philip Churchill
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 10:05:07 am »
What kind of deer is the tine from?  It does not look like whitetail. The last flake removal virtually destroyed the point. Have you finished it and what was the result.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 10:09:05 am by caveman2533 »

Stringman

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 02:12:12 pm »
With perfect technique I can see the benefits being a sharper untouched edge. Or maybe used to clear unwanted bulk from a piece. I think what these pics demonstrate is that you are finding a way to control the overshot and use it to your advantage. You are right, in that it is not often discussed. But I think most of us fear the damage caused rather than get excited about the benefits.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 11:00:14 pm »
With perfect technique I can see the benefits being a sharper untouched edge. Or maybe used to clear unwanted bulk from a piece. I think what these pics demonstrate is that you are finding a way to control the overshot and use it to your advantage. You are right, in that it is not often discussed. But I think most of us fear the damage caused rather than get excited about the benefits.
Bravo,
With out having total control of every overshot flake the resulting damage of a slight miscalculation can be disaster near completion of a biface. Employed as a thinning of a core not so much.

BTW Ben I always thought edge to edge was a better way. Less destructive. Show us your coast to coast flakes.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 11:20:59 pm »
I have to agree with Zuma. Overshot must be tightly controlled and I believe used early in the process to rapidly thin a biface, It will also rapidly  narrow one, Then use of controlled edge to edge .