Author Topic: Bambboo backed bow  (Read 11576 times)

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Bambboo backed bow
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2008, 09:20:46 am »
Nice looking bow,what OldBow and Marc said. Nice job. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline uwe

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2008, 02:49:26 pm »
Thank you very much.
Some replies of my own.
@ david w.: No, thats an ermine tail. 8)
@PK.: if you want to, try it! ;)
@codeman: I think it was a week. :P
@Wibowyer: then my computer willexplode >:D
 Would it be possible to put it into BOM- comp.?
Please find a pic. of full draw. Sorry, not in the woods only in the livingroom. It rains cats and dogs in the North of Germany (Schleswig- Holstein).

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2008, 03:09:32 pm »
Very nice work.  It amazes me that you can get a stiff handled, static tipped bow of a 54" length to bend to a 26" draw.  You are not supposed to be able to do that you know.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline uwe

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2008, 03:18:45 pm »
Why not! It works for more than 150 shots.

Slivershooter

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2008, 04:21:32 pm »
Tom,
Building a bow with those specifications would be extremely difficult for a selfbow, but when laminations (Osage and boo) are used you should be able to shorten the bows length without risking durability/safety of the bow.  Most people building bows use the rule of thumb of doubling the draw length and adding the length of the riser for the minimum length.  That formula has a lot of safety built into the bow and works well for almost any wood.  Boo and Osage are really tough wood and allow these guidelines to be altered downward.  The rule of thumb I have used for the last several years is to double the draw length and be extremely careful with the tillering.  For example, most of my Osage selfbows are between 58-60 inches and I draw them between 28-29 inches with weights ranging between 55-65 pounds.  I haven’t had one fail with these shorter specifications, but they do have a tendency to follow the string a little more then the longer bows I have made (about ½” more).  Also, I leave all my tips non-bending and slightly reflexed for the first 4-6 inches

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2008, 05:02:17 pm »
Hi Uwe,
a nice bow and fine pics.

Greetings from Gießen

Andreas

Offline Gordon

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2008, 05:13:56 pm »
Very nice tiller on that one. How far are you drawing in the picture?
Gordon

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2008, 05:33:40 pm »
Just goes to show you how much leeway is built into our rules of thumb.  And yes I agree that a BBO can do things a selfbow can't.

Thanks for showing us what boo and hedge can do Uwe.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2008, 05:35:25 pm »
Uwe, I kind of like full draw pictures with a wall behind them.  It allows us to see the great tiller you have on this bow.  I think it will do great in the BOM contest.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2008, 05:40:03 pm »
   Very nice bow. Bamboo an Osage makes a great combination.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2008, 02:23:41 pm »
This is a great picture of a fine bow at full draw, folks! And bookmarked for January Laminant Bow of the Month, too. Looking forward to seeing it again next week.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2008, 02:42:52 pm »
Uwe, that's a fine looking weapon.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2008, 02:58:26 pm »
I'll bet it's really something. I always saw everyone putting up photos of their osage bows, or Osage backed  boo bows, or this and that. Up until Now I've only used, oak, and ask. I finally got a chance to use the black locust that had forgotten about, around two years ago. I had hidden it behind a wardrobe to prevent family members from destroying it somehow, Well anyways I found it, and made a Wee 40" flatbow. Man Alive Its unlike everything I have ever used. They saw yew and Osage are even better.
 Then With the addition of bamboo as a back WOOOO! I'd like to shoot something like that, man.
knapp 'um if you got 'um

Offline uwe

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2008, 03:00:06 pm »
It makes me feel happy! Especially that this bow may come into the BOM- contest!
@Gordon: The draw is as I just measured it up about 25". It is amazing that my draw has changed over the years to a shorter draw. But this seems to be a phenomane (hope its correct writing) which appears to other bowyers too, as I have been reading.
Some additional words to this bow. The handle is salmon leather and the ermine taildecoration is coming its way with red woolcloth and phaesantfeathers as well as tin cones. The horntips are made of african watussi horn. The osagebelly is spliced in the handle and has a laminated osageriser. The string is dacron.
Additional you see some arrows made of cane with aluminiumpoints crafted on my lathe and osagenocks with a dowelinsert for the caneshaft (nock 1 piece of osage).

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Jesse

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2008, 08:53:14 pm »
Very nice full draw pic looks great. What did you use to glue on that riser? It looks like the top limb starts bending right at the riser. You must have good glue for it to be staying on so nicely.               Jesse
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark