Author Topic: Sinew processing  (Read 5106 times)

Offline Newbreedarcher

Sinew processing
« on: January 22, 2015, 01:00:53 pm »
So, I am processing sinew for the first time. It is leg sinew, fairly long(12-15") I have processed 5 or 6 pieces and they have rendered nearly on half of an xl ziploc bag. My question is, is how much hard sheathing is normal to have left over? I have a large amount of it left. I am saving it, I am under the impression I can use it to make glue. I have pounded the sinew to a point it is separating as much as it seems as it will without damaging the fibers. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
     Nick

Offline Chief RID

Re: Sinew processing
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 03:01:43 pm »
Pound until all the hard stuff is gone. It is easy. You will know. It will beautiful white threads.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 11:46:47 am »
how about processing back sinew?  does it need pounding too?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 03:33:30 pm »
I just scrunch back sinew between my hands and pull it apart.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 06:18:41 pm »
Like Pat I generally just scrunch it up and start tearing it loose. If the back membrane wasn't removed pounding the heavy top side will help to break it loose. Also even when part of that membrane is remaining you can tear a few strands from from the center and work out to the sides. Usually the membrane will stay intact and the center will pull loose from it.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 11:16:28 pm »
I've processed a pretty fair amount lately. What you should have left over is just some papery stuff. That is the outer sheath. This is what you're trying to achieve. There is only 4 deer leg tendons here. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!