Author Topic: Hawkeye Bowmen "Spring Thaw" Selfbow Rendezvous 2015 (pics added)  (Read 17136 times)

Offline Buffalogobbler

The dates for the annual Hawkeye Bowmen "Spring Thaw" selfbow rendezvous have been set, April 24-26.

We have a planning meeting(breakfast in the woods around the fire) scheduled for Jan.31st.
Brian S. or I will post more info about cost and contests later.

If you have never been to our little primitive shoot you can learn more about the fun we have by checking out my youtube channel (buffalogobbler1), check out the "woods walk" and "clout shoot" video's.

If you have any questions PM me here at Primitive Archer, email me at kraybould@rochester.rr.com or call me at 716-803-2280

Kevin
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 02:02:49 pm by Buffalogobbler »
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Hawkeye Bowmen "Spring Thaw" Selfbow Rendezvous 2015
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 05:39:44 am »
On my bucket list Kevin, got to be a great weekend when spent with all the fine folks from Hawkeye.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 09:57:41 am »
On my bucket list Kevin, got to be a great weekend when spent with all the fine folks from Hawkeye.  :)
   Pappy

I agree with Pappy
Is it on the same weekend each year ?
If so Maybe I can get it on my calender for next year !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 10:02:01 am »
We try to hold the Spring Thaw on the last weekend in April each year, but occasionally because of scheduling conflicts it is on the second last weekend in April.

Kevin

Offline BrianS

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 12:43:28 pm »
We held our planning meeting for the Spring Thaw Shoot this morning.
Attached are some pictures from the meeting (if I attached the pictures correct)
Hawkeye has a great Clubhouse and the driveway was plowed but having the Primitive Shoot meeting indoors just did not seem right so we opted to do it outside. The temp early in the morning was about zero and with all of the snow it was perfect back in the Woods! The meeting location was way back in the back ravine at Hawkeye and with the heavy snow it required snowshoes to get back there. A fire was started using flint and steel and firewood provided by Nature resulted in a fantastic breakfast of eggs, bacon, venison, corn muffins and chaga tea. At the "Breakfast meeting we discussed plans for this year's Spring Thaw. Kevin (Buffalo Gobbler) has volunteered to run Fridays campfire cooking contest, Brian S. will run Fridays Primitive Fire contest, Tom and Pam will run Saturdays Hawk and Knife contest and Dino(Rocks) and Eric will be running Saturdays Woodswalk which for the first time ever will have a Mens and Womens Division. Saturday Evening there will be a Pot Luck Dinner in the Clubhouse and Sunday morning there will be a long distance Clout Shoot. We will post the exact details about the courses, camping, the contests ect here and will be sending out postcards to those on the Hawkeye mailing list. If anyone is interested and has questions ask Buffalo Gobbler or Brian S.
Hope to see some of our old friends and make some new friends at this years Spring Thaw
Take care,
Brian

Offline BrianS

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 12:50:15 pm »
Here is a few other pictures from the meeting. Our woods are very nice year round but I think Winter is the best. It was a great way to start the day watching the woods come alive. Fresh snow revealed much animal sign, a red fox was seen and our snowshoe trail had deer tracks in it on the way out.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
Re: Hawkeye Bowmen "Spring Thaw" Selfbow Rendezvous 2015 (pics added)
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 05:51:51 am »
Looks a little chilly up there. :) Love the pictures.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline chamookman

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 04:46:36 am »
Thanks for posting the pics. My kind of meeting  ;) - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline BrianS

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 10:49:21 am »
I received a few questions regarding the one log fire contest.
We have been doing this contest for a few years now and this is how it works:
Each person will need a small container to boil about a cup of water, a fire kit (No matches or lighters allowed / flint and steel, fire piston, friction fire etc are allowed), a knife or axe to split the wood
You pick one log out of the firewood pile (this is all the fuel you can use) (Some choose their wood due to the BTUs, others choose their wood due to the ease of splitting and processing)
Each person's container will be filled with the same amount of water (about a cup)
Everyone starts at the same time. First one to get their water to boil using just the one log they picked out Wins.
Some folks process their wood first and then make fire.
Some make fire fire first and then process their wood and feed their fire as they go
Some arrange their wood in a certain fashion to make it as hot as possible
Some blow air on their fire.
Some use different water vessels that they feel will boil faster.
Some discover their knives or axes are too small or not suited for splitting
The Winners make it all look easy but trust me it takes skill to win.
It is very interesting to watch and is often very close. Last year We had to hold a tie breaker to determine the Winner.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 11:00:24 am by BrianS »

Offline BrianS

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2015, 05:54:58 pm »
Kevin will be running the campfire cooking contest this year. Here are some examples of Kevin's spoons made from wood that he salvages at Hawkeye. Kevin will be offering up something similar this year as a prize. Thank you Kevin for all of your work that goes into such great prizes
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 06:03:53 pm by BrianS »

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2015, 06:20:03 pm »
The campfire cooking contest will be Friday April 24th for those thinking of attending, choose your best recipe, get out your cast iron cook ware, whip up your best dish and you might win a hand carved spoon similar th these.

Kevin

Offline BrianS

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2015, 11:03:24 pm »
It has been a tough winter even by our standards but there is starting to be some signs of spring. Our creeks are starting to flow some and the snow depth back in the ravines where the courses will be located is down enough that we have started laying out the courses. We are  looking forward to this years Spring Thaw Selfbow Rendezvous and hope some of You can attend.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 11:20:23 pm by BrianS »

Offline BrianS

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 11:12:16 pm »
Here are a few pictures of our Clubhouse (where Saturday Evening's Pot Luck Dinner will be held), our Target Barn, the new Tom Quinn Memorial Equipment Building and our Deck overlooking  the start of one of the courses.

Offline BrianS

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2015, 11:16:41 pm »
We are blessed with a great club that has been around for some time and has such a rich history of archery here in WNY

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2015, 06:01:11 am »
Very cool, thanks for sharing the pictures Brian. Hope yall have a good one.  :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good