Author Topic: Hawkeye Bowmen "Spring Thaw" Selfbow Rendezvous 2015 (pics added)  (Read 17145 times)

Offline BrianS

Re: Hawkeye Bowmen "Spring Thaw" Selfbow Rendezvous 2015 (pics added)
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2015, 11:19:25 pm »
We started working on the course layout this past weekend. There will be two courses for this Shoot. One course runs through our first ravine and follows one of our creeks which is surrounded by mature Hardwoods and Hemlocks (easy to imagine you are back in another era of time), the other course will run all the way back to our second ravine and will come back out through what I consider one of the nicest  sections of our forest at Hawkeye. Our terrain is suited well for Archery with natural back stops at most target locations. All of the areas on the courses that cross ether one of our creeks have footbridges so you will not have to wade across the creeks in moccasins and the courses are clearly marked by colored flags. There will be about 20 3D targets put out for this Shoot and you can shoot the courses as often as you would like. There also will be a practice range with Morrel bags set up in the woods along with a couple of hawk blocks. The courses for this Shoot are not crowded and often you will not see another Archer. We offer primitive tent camping also. Our Clubhouse has running water and is heated. There are flush toilets in the Clubhouse and we get a couple of porta johns for the Shoot. This year, we will be visited by a local Scout troop on Friday evening and early Saturday morning.
The past few years, Dino and Eric have put together a very challenging Woodswalk contest. Dino suffered a injury recently and will not be doing it this year so I will be organizing the Woodswalk on Saturday. After going through a qualifying round, the top Men and Women Shooters in the Woodswalk will be challenged with not only shooting well at the targets, they will compete for additional points by demonstrating their survival skills, woodslore knowledge along with other backwoods skills.
Saturday evening there will be a Pot Luck Dinner. Other than the Pot Luck Dinner, and unlike our other Public Shoots,We will have no food from our Kitchen avalible so you are on your own for your meals. The Shoot starts at noon on Friday and ends at noon on Sunday. If you can only attend for one day, Saturday would be your best bet as that day has the most activities going on. Most years we get around 40 to 50 total shooters with about half of them camping out so this is not a big event like our Traditional Shoot in August. It is just a small gather of like minded Primitive Archers. Everything is very laid back. We have purposely keep this Shoot a simple affair so we can also enjoy it ourselves. If you are looking for a small laid back shoot, this one may be for you.
 Hawkeye is located in Western New York. Our address is 13300 Clinton Street (Rte 354) Marilla New York. Any question just ask ether myself (Brian) or Buffalo Gobbler (Kevin).
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 07:01:51 am by BrianS »

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2015, 09:20:47 am »
Would you believe it, it's almost April and we had another snow fall, it seems like this winter will never end.
It should all melt by the time the shoot rolls around...I hope.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2015, 09:30:42 am »
Heck Kevin we had sleet and light snow Friday evening here in Tennessee, weird year.
 I know yall will have a blast, looking forward to pictures and film. ;) :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BrianS

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2015, 11:00:07 am »
Someone had a question about our Woodswalk Competition. Anyone who shoots in the Woodswalk, must use selfnock wood arrows. There more than likely will be a fire making station somewhere on the course so it would also be a good idea to carry a method of starting a "primitive fire" (flint and steel, fire piston or friction fire being acceptable, modern items such as lighters and matches are not acceptable). Without "spilling the beans" about too many other challenges on this years Woodswalk, you may want to carry a knife, game calls and any other items that you may feel might come in handy on a pre 1800s hunt.

Offline BrianS

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2015, 08:02:53 pm »
 I took a few more pictures to show folks what it is like at Hawkeye Bowmen.

Offline BrianS

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2015, 08:06:11 pm »
a few more:

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2015, 10:36:30 am »
Great pics Brian!
60 degrees today, the snow's melting fast!

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline BrianS

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2015, 06:39:59 pm »
Only a few weeks away now. The snow is finally gone! Temp are warming up some. We are planning on working on the courses some after a Open Shoot is over on Sunday.
Hawkeye Member Joe C. donated this hawk to be used as a prize.

Offline BrianS

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2015, 10:13:49 am »
One week to go! Courses are done. We are doing some cleanup work in the camping area on Saturday. The weather has taken a turn for the better! Hope it stays nice for the Shoot. Looking forward to seeing some old friends and making some new ones.

Offline BrianS

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2015, 07:27:14 pm »
Here is the forecast from the National Weather Service. Looks like Mother Nature is not quite done with the cold. No big deal, we have dealt with a lot worse over the years.
Friday Partly sunny, with a high near 44.
Friday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 32.
Saturday Partly sunny, with a high near 47.
Saturday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 33.
Sunday Partly sunny, with a high near 48.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2015, 10:07:11 am »
That sounds like a great forecast , I know yall will have a great time. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BrianS

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2015, 09:28:56 am »
Pappy,
How can you not have fun shooting bows, throwing hawks, camping out, visiting with friends around the fire and eating good food. Kevin and I will post some pictures of Hawkeye's little Spring Thaw Shoot along with a little recap after it is over.
Some day, I would like to attend your Shoot but until then I really enjoy seeing your pictures. Thank you for taking the time to post them.
Take care,
Brian

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2015, 09:43:57 am »
O ya I know several of them guys up that way and you are right ,can't help but have fun with that bunch. I feel the same about yall's events, both are on my bucket list as soon as I can get done with this working thing. Hawkeye has been a legend with there fall shoot for as long as I can remember and I got to make that one for sure very soon. Have fun and looking forward to seeing some video and pictures of this one. ;)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BrianS

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2015, 10:05:09 am »
Latest weather forecast
Friday A slight chance of snow showers, mixing with rain after 9am, then gradually ending. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 43. West wind 13 to 18 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
Friday Night Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly clear, with a low around 30. West wind 6 to 10 mph.
Saturday Mostly sunny, with a high near 50. West wind 5 to 7 mph becoming northwest in the afternoon.
Saturday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 37.
Sunday Mostly sunny, with a high near 52.

Offline BrianS

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2015, 07:21:45 am »
Here are a some pictures from this years Spring Thaw Shoot at Hawkeye Bowmen.
One log fire making contest which was won by Rob