Author Topic: Photos: Quartz Crystal Overshot - "Tine Based Flaking Technology"  (Read 5802 times)

AncientTech

This is a continuation of work being shown in the memory of world renowned flintknapper, Philip Churchill. 

Test 6:  Outrepasse/Overshot in Quartz Crystal - Success on first attempt - "Tine Based Flaking Technology":

Test 5:  Overshot in Raw "Crudstone" Chert - "Tine Based Flaking Technology":

Test 4:  Re-surfacing Point With Overshot Technology - "Tine Based Flaking Technology":

Today, as I was walking across a parking lot, I heard the sounds of beautiful music coming from somewhere.  Suddenly, I felt the pain of the loss of my good friend, Philip Churchill.  Sometimes, I think that Philip felt pain for my own situation.  But, it was never worth it.  The only thing that is important is that you know that you have done the right thing.  That is all that is going to count in the end.  In memory of Philip Churchill.   

Test 9 - Controlled Outrepasse/Overshot versus Controlled Coast to Coast Flaking - "Tine Based Flaking Technology"

Test 10 - Overshot Technology - Coast to Coast Flakes:

Test 11 - Overshot Technology on Back of Unifacial Spall From Core - Two attempts - Second attempt successful

Backside:

Frontside:

OVERSHOT ON SECOND ATTEMPT:

Flake on far right is facing wrong direction.  The rough portion of the flake, seen on the left edge, was actually the rough edge of the biface, that came out with the detachment - Outré passé (non-hammerstone).

Conclusion:  Tine-based overshot technology is effective in working raw unifacial blade to a finished point.

TEST #12 - Working mid-late stage biface with overshot technology, with lowered edge

Conclusion:  Overshot Technology did not produce overshot in scenario where opposite edge was too low.  The technology only produced a set of coast to coast flakes.  It is worth pointing out that there was still a strong downwards turn on one of the coast to coast flakes, at the end of the trajectory, as can be seen in one of the photos. 

"WHAT YOUR EYES ARE SEEING IS A MYSTERY, KNOWN ONLY TO THOSE WHO ARE AQUAINTED WITH THE SECRETS OF THE ANCIENTS."

Don't be fooled.  Hammerstone outrepasse/overshot flaking is easy to achieve by manually torqueing the biface against the blow.  Unlike hammerstone percussion, what you are seeing here is a blend of two static pressures, one dynamic pressure that increases during impact, bending, percussion, and a very complex process that was know long ago.  The process shown here is far more sophisticated then hammerstone outrepasse/overshot flaking.  The only way to find the answer is to go upstream, to the source.  And, the journey will take many years, if a person can find the right evidence. 

Thanks for being a great friend, brother Philip.  Rest in peace.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 09:04:10 am by AncientTech »

Offline Chippintuff

Re: Photos: Quartz Crystal Overshot
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 03:33:36 pm »
Ben, you're shooting too deep and wiping out the distal edge. Adjust your angle to take off a thinner flake, and you can save a lot of width.

WA

Offline Zuma

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 06:54:42 pm »
Ben,
Nice control on the flakes and kudos on your bliss.
Do me/us a favor and show a start to finish of a biface
using you punch or whatever. You know like from a core to
a six inch  finished knife.
Thanks Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 08:00:20 pm »
This is the most control of overshot flaking I have ever seen by a modern knapper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeWWPbMFYYo

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 12:34:24 am »
Steve, that video is good. When I try that technique, my hammerstone/bopper tries to get a piece of the end of my finger.

WA

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 11:42:58 pm »
You will find in time and practice with each typ of rock you can usually get a lot of overshots.  I find on the tougher stone getting overshots early on in reduction is about your only hope of getting it relatively thin.  Btw nice piece of crystal.  I haven't found any big enough around here but its here... I hope to find some one day..would love to make a few for a keeper case!

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline Dalton Knapper

Re: Photos: Quartz Crystal Overshot - "Tine Based Flaking Technology"
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 05:27:26 pm »
I would like to see how the biface is held and the placement of the punch. The rest, I understand. Nice post - thank you for the info!

I'll also check out that video sometime.

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 10:23:15 pm »
"WHAT YOUR EYES ARE SEEING IS A MYSTERY, KNOWN ONLY TO THOSE WHO ARE ACQUAINTED WITH THE SECRETS OF THE ANCIENTS." (Edited for spelling)

Shhh, Its a secret Ben S.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 10:31:14 pm by caveman2533 »

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2015, 12:05:55 am »
Steve great video!  I do envy those who can control and use hammerstones to do detailed work. 

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2015, 12:17:12 am »
Yeah Russ its not as easy as Benjamin Eble thinks it is.

Offline Dalton Knapper

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2015, 01:34:27 pm »
Very helpful Steve! Now I completely understand. I'll go with my suspicions and punch and hammer away at the details.