Author Topic: ERC is great bow wood!  (Read 49483 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
ERC is great bow wood!
« on: January 26, 2015, 10:46:08 am »
Great...
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
Re: ERC is great bow wood!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 10:53:39 am »
BOOOOOM!  :o

It is good if you back it, in my opinion  :D  Hickory seems to match it well, or sinew backing if you have that possibility.  Not sure I would trust a self bow unless the piece of ERC was exceptional quality.
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 11:01:17 am »
 Well that stinks man.Was that in your hand when it blew? Glad you didn't make me one from it!
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline Chadwick

• Knock off everything that ain't a bow.
    • Primal Archery
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 11:02:38 am »
I know! I love it too! Both of these were backed with rawhide. One broke at a belly compression point (chrysal) and the other blew up because of the gypsies.
Nothing flying, Nothing dying

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 11:03:02 am »
Sure was bud! Farthest piece went about 8 feet! Nothing touched me but the string. This was for my wife. 66" ntn and let rip at 30 @ 22 or so. Pretty sad really. Good bow wood doesn't need a back. Good bow wood stands alone IMHO.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Chadwick

• Knock off everything that ain't a bow.
    • Primal Archery
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 11:06:39 am »
And I see you had already shaped your osage overlays on that... Several hours of work making kindling.
Nothing flying, Nothing dying

Offline RyanY

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 11:08:03 am »
Good bow wood doesn't need a back. Good bow wood stands alone IMHO.

Agreed. Sorry for the loss!

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 11:08:58 am »
Good bow wood doesn't need a back. Good bow wood stands alone IMHO.

True
I like osage

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 11:17:57 am »
What does the limb cross section look like?   How dry was is?  I also had a ERC ELB that was RH backed and it blew up also.  I'm still willing to give it a chance.  Use sinew, or linen.  ERC will make a great bow.  Just not a great Selfbow.  Blackhawk has a great one somewhere in archives.  Unless it broke or something in the recent past. 

Offline adb

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 11:18:43 am »
Good grief. It blew at 30#@22"? Wow. That's barely bending. I have an ERC stave in my shop... maybe I'll just continue to look at it. Glad you didn't get hurt.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 11:29:22 am »
I really wish I hadn't opened this...I am just starting to rough out an ERC ELB.  I should have made it into flutes...oh well.  Helmet and goggles time.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 11:36:00 am »
I didn't have 2 hours in this thing, the wood is so soft it just falls right off. I think Josh mentioned second growth or branches are much, much stronger than trunk wood. Id tend to buy that.

Rawhide wont always keep a bow together, but it will dampen the explosion and lessen injuries.

Offline rps3

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 11:45:21 am »
Should I feel bad that I laughed when I scrolled down to see the picture? I thought I was going to see a really cool bow!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2015, 11:51:29 am »
Laugh away Bobert! I did last night when it happened. When a good bow wood does this, Im not so happy.

blackhawk

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2015, 11:53:04 am »
Knowing you I knew what i was going too see before I opened the thread by ur title.  :laugh:   that sucks pal,but your a seasoned veteran,n I know it don't bother ya.  :P  ...looks like its time for plan osage to me ;)