Author Topic: ERC is great bow wood!  (Read 49482 times)

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: ERC is great bow wood!
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2015, 02:25:02 pm »
at least you dont have to worry if you can repair it :)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2015, 02:44:00 pm »
Heck no Brad! It took 2-3 minutes to find all the shards. That pic is the complete bow minus a sliver or two.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2015, 04:17:11 pm »
What an explosion!  Look at those pieces!
I really have no desire to try ERC.  Got several pieces growing in my yard that I could cut and use...no desire.
1’—>1’

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2015, 04:27:35 pm »
I still think there is more to this than is being said.  From responses and my exploded bow also it appears that they are mostly ELB that we're backed withdraw hide.  It appears that raw hide is not sufficient. I wonder if a rectangular cross section would help?(as Twistedlimbs bows). Also, did you trace a ring so you could get more heart wood? 

Offline Matthias Wiltschko

• Austria
    • Bow Building Online Classes
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2015, 04:32:12 pm »
I have a lot of beautiful ERC staves in my stash, but now I am really interested to see some ERC bows that actually are alive and well.
Matthias
Bowyers are not flexible, they are elastic!

www.bowbuildingschool.com
www.bowwood.at

Offline Comancheria

« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2015, 04:52:06 pm »
I have to admit even I chuckled a bit.  When my first (and only) red oak bow started ticking on the tillering board, I suddenly realized I had it sitting below my wife's treasured original Audobon print with high-dollar museum glass.  I ran over, risking life and limb and sprinted with it into the garage--where it exploded.

Even so, it at least had the good grace to end up in two pieces.  Lord help us, PD--it looks like the  splinters have little piles of sawdust lying around!  I hope you do your own laundry. 😊

Russ
When sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane are outlawed, only outlaws will have sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2015, 04:58:22 pm »
I still think there is more to this than is being said.  From responses and my exploded bow also it appears that they are mostly ELB that we're backed withdraw hide.  It appears that raw hide is not sufficient. I wonder if a rectangular cross section would help?(as Twistedlimbs bows). Also, did you trace a ring so you could get more heart wood? 

A lot of that has merit on most builds squatch. However, when Im trying to make a pee wee weight bow 66" long and this happens? I don't care what the cross section is,  it isn't good bow wood by any stretch. I know second growth and branches are much, much better. My good buddy Josh is going to send me a limb and let me try again.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2015, 05:09:20 pm »

When you see the very experienced guys like Chris that still break bows once in a blue moon you know there's more to it than the skill of the bowyer. Exploding wood keeps things interesting!  >:D

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2015, 06:24:38 pm »
That's a shame. I've always had good luck with it. But, I make the limbs a lot wider then that and longer. 1 3/4 -2" wide and at least 68" for a 55#, 28" draw. And with a piece of ERC like I sent you.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline 21st century archer

« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2015, 06:50:27 pm »
was the stave from a main trunk or a limb/sapling?

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2015, 07:31:59 pm »
Well the good news is you weren't hurt and that it didn't make it to completion and then blow at full draw while your wife was shooting it. My guess is you'll grab another wood and have something tillered out and shooting for her by thursday. ;)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Will H

« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2015, 07:55:53 pm »
Well that sux... Like Greg said, at least it didn't blownup on her. Go grab some REAL wood and make somethin!
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2015, 08:22:00 pm »
66" ntn and I was shooting for 32 ish @ 24-25. It was just over an inch wide and the whole bow was bending out to the tips. I wasn't asking much of it at all.

Flat belly or D section?

I've never had problems with ERC
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PatM

« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2015, 08:26:59 pm »
If it explodes imagine how much energy it had in it. You just have to contain it like any other volatile substance.

Offline Gaust

« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2015, 08:32:36 pm »
Scratch that wood off my list.  Nice tips, Chris!

George