Author Topic: What do i do with this ?  (Read 5908 times)

Offline Stixnstones

What do i do with this ?
« on: January 27, 2015, 07:23:29 pm »
This happened while i was heating it on my caul
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Badger

Re: What do i do with this ?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 07:26:14 pm »
  Not being a smart alleck here but nothing else could have happened the way you had it supported. I would glue it inside the crack and press it back together and it shoud be fine.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 07:39:17 pm »
Your clamps need to be inline or above the support blocks, or you will be applying bending stresses where you don't want them to be.
As Badger noted.... glue and clamp and you should be fine......  I had a finished recurve bow break at that same point when the string slipped off one of the tips during a shot.  Dry fire!  :(  I super glued and clamped it, then wrapped with sinew and it has held for about 700 shots and still going strong.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 07:50:32 pm »
Im not sold on gluing and clamping it until I see that crack better. Looks almost like the crack extends to the back after a hard left at the knot? 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 07:52:45 pm »
The crack does go beyond the knot a bit
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 07:58:52 pm »
Yeah me either.  That scares me.  A break in the handle can be explosive.  I would go ahead and glue it and see, but be afraid.   
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 08:01:38 pm »
Im not sold on gluing and clamping it until I see that crack better. Looks almost like the crack extends to the back after a hard left at the knot? 

Ya I see it now....if your right Chris...its toast... :'(
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 08:06:46 pm »
That looks like a lot of reflex coming out of fades on your caul.  Mine has a gentle reflex in the center and increases as it goes out the limbs.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 08:11:16 pm »
Can i work that handle down and follow the ring its on? Than possibly make my first bend thru the handle bow?
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 08:13:58 pm »
The crack follws the ring, it doesnt go towards the back of the bow
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 08:22:23 pm »
If your dead set on it being a bow here is the one and only way Id do it if it where mine.

Id totally saturate that crack with Loctite Professional super glue, no others, and clamp it for a few hours. Then Id wrap 2" beyond the crack end each way with some no stretch, high strength, small diameter braid. Fishing line would work. Then Id saturate that entire wrap in the same glue. It would be ugly'ish. but it wont ever come apart.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 08:40:59 pm »
Thanx advice, will give it a whirl
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2015, 09:00:27 pm »
I'm with pearlie and outlaw, You might want less reflex near the handle more toward the tips, and the last time something like this happened (molle lever, tried to push the reflex into the fade which was dumb ::) ) loctite-pro and a sinew wrap saved my butt.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2015, 05:58:43 am »
I would super glue and clamp as Badger said, you are pulling it tighter as you string and draw, it should be fine, seen a lot that happened to. :) It will almost always happen if they have a hump in the handle. :)The wrap sure won't hurt but I don't think it is necessary.  :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2015, 03:05:02 pm »
I'm with pearlie and outlaw, You might want less reflex near the handle more toward the tips, and the last time something like this happened (molle lever, tried to push the reflex into the fade which was dumb ::) ) loctite-pro and a sinew wrap saved my butt.

This is correct: the old addage about making the bow the stave wants to become applies!  :-)   I have done the same thing, though.    If I have much natural deflex in a stave, I turn it into a deflex recurve/reflex. 

If you want to get creative and have any tools, you could even saw out the crack and square it up, then glue in a fitted splint, and work it in to the rest of the handle (assuming the back is very intact).  Cut it at a diagonal so you don't have one weak spot across.