Author Topic: Poll, bow strings  (Read 13482 times)

Offline redhawk55

• bowXplosion
Re: Poll, bow strings
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2015, 07:08:12 am »
Our equipment is only as good as the weakest link. It isn't the fault of the string that the bow is too strong!  ;)

I don't see flight shooting as being a benchmarking competition for bows.  A very good string and arrow maker can sometimes beat a very good bow maker. A great flight archer with superior tuning can beat a poor archer with superior equipment.  There are many dimensions to the game of flight archery that must work together, and this is what keeps the sport interesting. When I research some of the longest flight shots of the pre-synthetic materials age, one of the first things I learned to appreciate is the construction of the strings.  Allowing synthetic strings takes the importance of the string out of the game. I see it as similar to allowing synthetic arrows, or replacing the archer with a shooting machine, or backing wood with glass.

When I got started on bow making, the only thing I concentrated on was making a fast bow, but I never did very well.  So I decided to let bow design take a back seat for a few years while exploring arrow design, string making, tuning, and improving as an archer. It is only recently that I find the need to get back to work on making the bows faster.

Realistically, a natural string only rule would probably be seen as a major barrier to most primitive archers.  So I think it is reasonable not to require it at all unsanctioned events.  But I would encourage the practice of highlighting results of those that did shoot natural strings. Eventually, maybe it will help generate more interest in this area and we will start to see more spinners at our flight shoots!

Alan

Alan pointed out very clearly what we've to consider.
Anyway there are decisions to be fixed.
I'm o.k. with synthetic strings in the traditional classes. Maybe we could think about a reward system for the ones using natural strings.
But I'm still thinking about warbows in the medieval, no FF, no dacron?
I guess it should be a challenge to make a natural fibre string for an 120lbs warbow.

Michael

..........the way of underdoing.............

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2015, 11:47:10 pm »
I like man made. D97 . I vote for that. Do newbys get to vote? Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2016, 09:54:05 am »
Pretty late with my reply, sorry for that. Maybe there has been already a formal decision?
I tend to follow Alan here for the regular flight shooting in the primitive classes, including warbows: only natural materials.

My home-spun linen strings for a 52" 50# bow wheigh c. 6.5 g, or 100 grains give or take a few gr, but those are close to the limit of my capacities (and break after a (few) dozen shots).

For broadhead classes synthetic string material is ok for me.