Author Topic: anyone strip feathers instead of grinding?  (Read 13452 times)

Offline paulsemp

Re: anyone strip feathers instead of grinding?
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2015, 03:55:32 pm »
I forgot to say not sure if you can tell in the picture but those white lines are not bindings on the arrow they are just paint

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2015, 04:44:02 pm »
Cool arrows Paul

gutpile

« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2015, 10:38:08 am »
I freehand mine tied with real sinew...you can create a helical after tie down or during...you will wish for another hand but it can be done easily enough...gut

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2015, 08:42:24 pm »
I have stripped a few but get so many turkey wings every year I send the feathers to David Mitchell, trade the rights to have the lefts ground, works for me. I sent 41 wings and 11 fans off to trade last year, on my best collection year I had over 70 wings.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2015, 01:16:48 am »
.... Maybe after a few beers you may strip with us in the pavilion.
If stripping in the pavilion has become some kinda rite of passage, then maybe I should go to Elm Hall ... as a favor to you.  ::)
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Magyar Blood

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2015, 01:23:42 am »
This strip/grind thing is getting outta hand ;) 
I've only ever stripped my feathers, and I've been doing that for like 7-8 years now.  Btw paulsemp, i make both those arrows exactly the same way!  Those spiral flu-flu arrows go exactly where you point them
You can't fix stupid!!!

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2015, 05:33:31 pm »
Paul:

Remind me and I'll bring a bunch of turkey feathers to Marshall.  I strip mine most of the time.  If I get a bad strip (that didn't ruin the feather) I might dress up on the sander.  Usually, stripping is all that is needed though.  I like the natural curvature of the quill that is stripped.  It seems to be a perfect match to the radius of the arrow shaft.

Hope all is well...
Matt
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2015, 05:48:47 pm »
With all this talk about stripping I tried it yesterday.. :o and its cold.  :)  :).

Do you guys that strip use jigs and clamps to add feathers to your arrows??  From my new experience it's a little more difficult to use a clamp & fletching jig.  I can really see how nice it would be to fletch arrows without fixtures.  I tried some and think I could get use to it after some practice. 

It's hard to change what you get use to doing.  :)
DBar

Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2015, 06:12:44 pm »
I like the sounds of that Matt, nice to "see" you by the way. It would be fun to sit under the pavilion and mess with feathers and such. Id like to learn more and simplify my approach.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2015, 06:57:35 pm »
DBar, I strip them then cut  to length of clamp 6" or so just so they fit in, glue or tape an then burn to shape (phew) :o,easy peasy. Bob

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2015, 10:23:21 am »
Thanks Drums!  Good to hear back from you.  Work seems to be gettin' in the way, lately.  Been doing a fair amount of work in the bow shop though. 
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI