Author Topic: Snake skin  (Read 7656 times)

Offline Billbob

Re: Snake skin
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2015, 10:02:06 am »
I think I might be able to shave a little of the thickness off, but since there are scales on it, I guess they can't come off since it has been tanned?  I'm not worried about losing a couple fps, just want to make sure it will stay on the bow and that the scales won't hurt anything.  Thanks a lot for all the help on this.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2015, 12:07:22 pm »
Yeah,  if you try to take the scales off you will take the colors off as well. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

gutpile

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2015, 03:10:01 pm »
you can't remove the scales once its been tanned..they are on for good now..trying to thin skin is futile... like I said I used a rattler which is much thinner to begin with than a python.it ended up being about the thickness of an air dried python.. honestly.. I'd get another skin that is air dried....gut

Offline Gaur

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2015, 03:26:51 pm »
I can't imagine they would leave the scales on in the tanning process.  Are you sure you aren't just seeing the pattern where the scales once were?
"...He made me a polished arrow and hid me in His quiver." Is 49:2

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2015, 05:39:09 pm »
I can't imagine they would leave the scales on in the tanning process.  Are you sure you aren't just seeing the pattern where the scales once were?

How about soaking the skin in hide glue and pressing it between boards to dry?  Never done it, but that collagen is part of what was removed or broken down by the tanning process.  That would press it flat and consolidate it, but you'd probably only get one chance to try it.  Meh.

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2015, 07:50:47 pm »
If you could get the boards apart.  >:D Patrick

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Stringman

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2015, 08:47:52 pm »
Probably make more sense to soak in hide glue them apply to bow back immediately.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2015, 09:06:22 pm »
Probably make more sense to soak in hide glue them apply to bow back immediately.

Just an idea.  Plastic sheeting to keep the boards from sticking.  I was wondering if maybe this process would take ssome of the 'fluff' out of the leather. Then you could do the dry rawhide backing method ala Dean Torges.  In a TBM article he dampens the skin, sizes both wood and rawhide with hide glue, and sticks em together with a little heat.

I haven't done this, though, so I know nothing.

gutpile

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2015, 10:44:33 am »
why use boards when thumb tacks are all you need and air....the scales are accentuated in a tan skin...meaning they are proud and stand out ..the actual scale maybe gone but trust me where the scale was you can pick it and it won't come off... if you must try the python do as I recommend and soak in hot water with dawn dish washing liquid , rinse well and tack out on a board with thumb tacks...do not stretch skin..once air dried you can rehydrate and cover skin and limbs with titebond 111.....apply as air dried skin...gut..

Offline Billbob

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2015, 03:10:28 pm »
Looked at the skin last night and I think I was just seeing where the scale used to be.  There is a lot of "fluff" on the tanned side.  I'll try to get as much of that off and degrease with dawn.    If I make a bow this spring/summer that I like, I'm going to give the python a try.  Might try to glue it down with contact cement.  Seems to hold tight and it's flexible when cured.  Anybody else use contact cement before?

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2015, 08:17:24 pm »
A buddy of mine used masters cement for leather when he glued one on a glass bow several years ago. Still on there tight. Big thin is to be sure to get a good bond with minimal glue and air pockets. I personally wouldn't use it on a wood bow though. I would us tight bond 3 like I stated before. Patrick