Author Topic: Splice a backing ?  (Read 3735 times)

SFB

Splice a backing ?
« on: January 21, 2008, 10:32:18 am »
This is my first post, so bear with me.... If I spice a pair of billets, of say osage or hickory, can I then also splice a bamboo backing to glue on top of them. Postage is so expensive on full length pieces, and I don't know of anyplace close in Southern Wisconsin to buy material ? I know this is probably a dumb question, but at age 55, it's not the first one I've ever asked   :)
Thanks,
Scott

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
Re: Splice a backing ?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 11:00:50 am »
Yes. you can splice a backing if your bow has a non bending handle. I've made a couple bamboo backed and hickory backed bows that the backing was spliced in the handle. I also covered up the splice with a thin lamination of wood on the back of the bow in the handle area also for extra strength. ;D
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Radon

• European
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 11:43:26 am »
I spliced bamboo backing at the handle before. For extra safety I wrapped the handle with thick cordage.

Worked ok.

Radon
Dresden - Germany

Offline broad_head

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 05:24:46 am »
I have just made an 80lb English longbow from yew/ash that bends through the handle. It is backed with a single growth ring of ash and is spliced at the back and belly. The backing and belly are just a simple lap joint, I have shot it a few times and it is still in one piece!

Peter.

SFB

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 08:50:44 am »
Thanks for your replies. Another question for anyone in Wisconsin...Is there a place to buy bamboo anywhere close ?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 12:22:19 pm »
It can be done, I have a hickory backed black cherry that I just put a little overlay on the joint in the backing.  I would rather have a non bending handle on a splice. 

Shipping is only around $20 on a full length piece. I would order from Mike Yancey at Pine Hollow so you can get the Osage and boo shipped together and save enough by shipping one package to pay for shipping the full length pieces. http://www.pinehollowlongbows.com/products.asp  JMHO Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Jesse

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 01:23:27 pm »
I live in northern Wi. I have not found anyone close that sells bamboo so if you find one let me know. Also you might want to try a take down bow' but if cost is an issue I think it would be more expensive.                                     Jesse

"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

SFB

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 10:56:34 am »
Thanks everyone !