Author Topic: Nobody on here will be stuck in a survival situation...  (Read 18766 times)

Offline DanaM

Re: Nobody on here will be stuck in a survival situation...
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2008, 09:13:03 pm »
Kegan my wife gets F&S I laughed my butt off when I saw the article ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2008, 09:33:56 pm »
Lets see! What do we really need for survival? I think a person could survive most sittuations with just a toothpick and a bit of dental floss! Gots to keep up the ol'chompers if ya want to eat anything. Ah, throw out the tooth pick I can use as peice of a sapling if necisary but getting in between the teeth is tough!  ;D

Seriously though! What would you do first second and so forth if caught out in the wilderness? Me, I think first off would be shelter and a fire, second search for fresh water and any food. After that start scouting and improving my life untill rescued if I knew I could not get out of the sittuation on my own. How about you folks?
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2008, 09:40:33 pm »
when i was like 13 i decided i could live in the woods for 2 days with nothing but a knife flint and steel and some twine. i lasted about a half day till i cmae home tired and hungry. i built a pretty good lean-to but i couldnt get my fire started and i needed water to boil to drink so it didnt turn out well for me. now i can do it and it is fun to be alone in the woods. right now i am building a small log cabin at my uncles farm and thats where i do most of my "surviving"
Modern Day Tramp

jamie

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2008, 11:21:29 am »
the first thing you do in a survival situation is take care of what you need first. raining , shelter and gather water. hot shade, cold sheltern/ heat. your wet get dry. thirsty get water. you pretty much take care of everything at once. gathering wood, look for food. there is no check list of what to do first. the funny thing is our hobby is one of the last things you need in the wild unless you are talking about some very long term situations, the bow is unnessarry.

Texas Pete

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2008, 05:29:57 pm »
I had a situation that lasted for 47 days.  I'll post the story sometime if you all would like to read it.

Remembering the Rules of Three will keep you alive in a true survival situation

Texas Pete

jamie

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2008, 05:39:32 pm »
yup we wanna hear it :)

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2008, 05:49:33 pm »
Love to hear how others have coped in survival mode ... look forward to the story.. Mike A/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Texas Pete

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2008, 08:55:27 pm »
Not alot of Primitive to it, other than making a lean-to.  Where should I put it?

Texas Pete

jamie

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2008, 09:00:17 pm »
start a new post in primitive skills

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2008, 09:00:40 pm »
Pete, Maybe in anything else..MikeA/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Texas Pete

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2008, 10:30:07 pm »
Pete, Maybe in anything else..MikeA/ho

Looks like I won't be posting it.  I posted a joke that got deleted because it was suggestive and was reminded that this was a family forum (Not that I'm dogging the moderator that deleted it;  They were just going by the guidelines that the Admin set).  This story spans a coupla hundred pages and has some off-color moments in it.

I'd hate to have almost 20 years of writing deleted due to an off-color moment, and I really don't feel like re-writing it, so its probably just best not to post it

Texas Pete

Offline DanaM

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2008, 11:01:48 pm »
Just so ya all know I'm the moderator referenced ;) And it was a funny joke ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2008, 11:03:56 pm »
"Frigures "a yankee an yopper at that would do it ! ;D....bob

Offline DanaM

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2008, 08:00:09 am »
thanks bob thats why they pay me the big bucks ;)

Manistique, MI

Texas Pete

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2008, 08:30:49 am »
Once again no worries.

I got a notion last night andpulled out the archery equipment.  My bow and the arrows have been in storage for the better part of a year.  I stored both of them in big sections of PVC pipe.  I strung the bow, grabbed a few arrows, and picked up a chrony and went outside before thewind picked up too bad here.  I flung a few arrows at 30 yards, finding I can still put them in a fist sized target at that range.  Then, I set the Chrony up and fired a coupla sticks through it.  the speeds were 287, 281 and 289 respectively.

Gosh I love this bow

I went back inside and put all the gear away, and when I was looking in the corner where there was another PVC pipe.  I had forgotten all about it.  i pulled it out and opened her up to reveal my Paul Chen BaGua sword.  A friend of mine had it made for me in trade for an authentic japanese bow from the late 19th century that I had picked up in Okinawa.  I pulled the blade out of the scabbard and it sung coming out as usual.  I wiped it down and put a thin coat of oil onit, and put it away.

I guess I was reflecting on a simpler time, where the ethics of man and the quality of good steel still meant something.

Oh well, back to reality   ;D

Texas Pete