Author Topic: Poll Traditional flight classes arrow weights  (Read 5748 times)

Offline Badger

Poll Traditional flight classes arrow weights
« on: February 04, 2015, 04:43:42 pm »
   The regular flight classes will have no restrictions on arrow weights. The purpose of Tradtional flight is to test bows and archers in a manner as close to possible as how they are intended to be used. Normally hunting and target bows might be shooting anywhere from 7 to 12 grains of arrow weight per pound of draw weight. We are polling on the weight you would prefer to become the standard. I prefer the lower weights in this type of venue as it more closely approaches regular flight shooting and tends to favor bows who are built more efficiently. Any archer could use an arrow heavier than the standard allowed as long as he did not go below the standard. For example a well built straight longbow might shoot a 10 grain arrow at about 170 fps and travel about 200 yards, shooting a 7 grain arrow he would add about 22 fps to the shot and travel maybe 60 yards further, just guessing here.

Please give your opinion on the arrow weights you would like to see applied to all traditional primitive bows being shot.

Offline adb

Re: Poll Traditional flight classes arrow weights
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 05:33:56 pm »
My vote would be 8 grains/pound of draw weight

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 05:51:12 pm »
I'll go for 8 as fairly representative of the lighter arrows for field shooting.
It about ties up with my regular arrows, going lighter doesn't add much for regular field bows.
I have no gripe with going down to 7. Don't want to go higher than 8 though.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 08:06:25 am »
Ok I have never done this type of archery , but have been involved in many aspects of archery so I suppose you can consider me one of the folks you are trying to draw in

I hate light weight arrows
almost all of my work for the past 25 yrs has been with 10 or more grain per pound of bow arrows ,but back before that when I did aerial targets I did see some benefit to a faster arrow
for that
so if you folks think that lighter is better I could probably deal with the 8 grain standard as long as I can use heavier till you can convince me you have an advantage
Just throwing that out there for a perspective of an out sider
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 12:26:34 pm »
Buckeye, it is not so much that lighter is better. I shoot 10 grains in all my bows unless I am shooting flight. Lighter arrows tend to require more efficiency in a bow to score well when shooting for distance or speed. They will also travel further and make it a little more exciting. Regular flight arrows can go as low as 3 grains per pound. I try to keep mine at about 4. Once you get over about 300 grains of arrow weight the mass of the arrow has less problems dealing with the drag. Below about 220 grains drag become a major issue with us wood arrow flight shooter. I score better with my regular bows than I do my very fast flight shooting bows simply because I have trouble getting good arrow flight. This is where a lot of skill in arrow making and shooting starts to come into play. The tradtional classes keep the arrow weight high enough where the archer isn't dealing so much with the aerodynamics and makes it more possible to compare arhers and bows. Just one less factor in the equation.