Author Topic: Bow stave give away  (Read 6655 times)

Offline Sidewinder

Bow stave give away
« on: February 05, 2015, 02:05:42 am »
I did'nt put this in the trade section because I wanted it to get out there to all of you that might be interested.

I've been thinking about this for a while now and I've finally decided to thin out some of my more marginal osage orange staves that I've been hording. I'm not giving away any of my primos but I have an over abundance of staves that I will probabley never get around to working. So for all of you bow junkies that are starving for osage and/or are somewhat sado-masocistic ,heres your chance to satisfy your fix. Most have too much twist or doglegs or knots or all of the above for my taste. All are well seasoned and have the potential to make bows. They will just take more patience than I am willing to exert and if I do get a wild hair and decide I want to challenge myself with a tough stave, there is no shortage of marginal staves in the woods.
 You pay the shipping, thats it. Probabley around $20-$25 anywhere in Lower48 and canada. Across the pond and it probabley isn't worth the extra freight it would take but thats up to you.  There is probabley around 15 or so, maybe more. I will take an inventory in the next couple days for an actual count. I would rather give them away to you guys than let them go to waste. I would like as many guys as possible to benefit from this so no more than 1 stave per guy unless I get few takers and then maybe I will reconsider my strategy.
 Pm me if your interested.  First come first served. When they are gone, their gone. 

If a moderator thinks it belongs in the trade section feel free to move it.
Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline E. Jensen

Re: Bow stave give away
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 09:36:50 am »
I'm down for one.  Love snakey and knots, just don't like cracks.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 10:25:57 am »
Put me down for one. Tyke will most likely want one too.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline steelslinger

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 10:29:54 am »
I will take one.

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 10:30:13 am »
I'm in. Mark me down
In all your ways acknowledge  him and he will make your paths straight.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 10:34:33 am »
Very nice of you. :) :)

Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 10:43:22 am »
Pm me with your name and address so I can check shipping. If I don't get a Pm I can't count you in.

Thanks Pappy.  I guess thats what happens when your cup runneth over. This time is a little different in that these staves all have a bow in em but are deffintely more of a challenge. I'm sure you have your fair share of similar stuff. From what I've heard about you your pretty generous yourself. 

Offline TimBo

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 10:43:44 am »
I am sending you a PM.  Thanks for the very generous offer!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2015, 11:04:48 am »
Very kind of you Danny boy. Ill bet you get rid of all you want to.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2015, 11:08:48 am »
Cool beans Danny, i doubt you will have any left
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Josh B

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2015, 11:10:54 am »
Good of ya Danny!   Josh

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2015, 11:43:45 am »
It is more blessed to give than receive,  good for you.

Offline JonW

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2015, 12:32:47 pm »
Save one for OJAM buddy. We can do something in between sips. ;)

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2015, 12:44:43 pm »
Are you overwhelmed by volunteers to help you reduce your inventory yet? Those of us that don't live in osage territory, tend to pounce on offers like this.  I just hope I got my PM in to you soon enough to be in on the action.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2015, 01:24:45 pm »
Ok, I took inventory and did some sorting of what I will and won't work in the future. I have a total of 102 staves in my stash. I pulled out 41 for the giveaway. Everyone of them has a bow in em if you know how to use a heatgun and clamps. Some of em are'nt too far off of being keepers but I have to be realistic. I'm not normally a horder of any kind but it seems over the last 8yrs of bow making I have accumulated more than I need. Heres all I ask. Everyone of them are well seasoned. Please remember they are my disgards and I hope everyone understands.t  Also, logistically it is gonna take me a little time to get them shipped once I get the shipping money sent from the recipients. Bare with me, my words good as most of you already know. I'm sure the ladies at the post office are gonna have a cow when I walk in with 5 or 10 staves a day to ship. The other thing to consider is this, The freight is gonna be slightly different for each one based on actual weight, where its going and its dimensions. I am going to the post office today and get and average of about 10 staves going to some of the various locations I've recieved requests from. Once I get an average thats going to be the cost. When I recieve your shipping cost I will ship the staves. Some of you may pay a couple dollars more some a couple less based on the average, so don't hold it against me if its not exact. Its not a money making deal but I don't want to be out any dough either. Sound fair?

Here are a couple pics of the two piles just to wet your whistles.

When ever you harvest osage your gonna have some that are really good and some that are marginal. These are the ones that I could'nt turn into firewood but did'nt make the cut to stay in the rotation.

Jon no worries about saving any, I've 61 left.