Author Topic: Measuring distances  (Read 15695 times)

Offline Badger

Measuring distances
« on: February 06, 2015, 12:29:33 pm »
   I am all ears in this one. Assuming many of the shoots might be very small affairs involving only a few shooters it may not be practical to rent expensive surveying equipment. One method I was considering was laying out a center line at 90 degrees to the shooting line using a 100 yard tape measure with distance markers at the stakes. One person could carry a squared site down the center line while another individual would hold a flag at any arrow to be measured. by placing the square on the center line and sighting out to the flag pole we should be able to maintain accuracy of about 1 foot at 50 yards from center line. This method would automaticaly triangulate the shots with no calcualtions. Suggestions here are welcome as this will be a major issue.

Offline adb

Re: Measuring distances
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 01:02:05 pm »
Laser range finder? We used 2 for our warbow shoots. They claim to be very accurate.

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 01:22:03 pm »
  That is the ideal way, instead of triangulating the shots just use an out of bounds. I have one bit it seems to be unreliable. Mine was about $200.00. It does pretty well out to about 300 yards and then it becomes iffy.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 01:42:05 pm »
I haven't tried my new laser rangefinder in earnest yet, but I've just finished my 35# Hazel flight bow and got some promising result (a couple at 165fps, one at 170!). I'll post here tomorrow, but it's on the blog if anyone can't wait.
I'm hoping to shoot it for distance on Sunday. I aim to take a sheet of steel plate from the back of an old cooker to leave upright on the shooting line, as a laser target. walk out to the arrow then measure back to the steel sheet.
I'll report back. Mind I've got the sniffles and it may be cold and I'm an old softy cat ::) so I may just curl up in the warm instead.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 02:59:17 pm »
I know a few surveyors so I think I can get the job done
Having said that made me think they use satellite technology, and there is a cell phone app that works the same way so as anyone played with it yet ?
Maybe the cheapest way going if it gives us the accuracy we settle on
I know the new farm equipment is ran off of it now and they claim good accuracy with it.
I will try to talk to my son about it he is in to all that stuff ( its his job to maintain the farm equipment for the tristate area )
Even so I think we should have a standard for hand measure like Steve opened us with just because it will allways give us a fall back plan
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 03:13:29 pm »
  I would like to try and get it within 12" accuracy if anyway possible and easily understandable.

Offline Jules

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 04:34:10 pm »
We mostly use rangefinders  :)

Offline avcase

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 04:35:18 pm »
I plan to lay out pairs of stakes parallel to the shooting line at 50 yard intervals, with bright fluorescent twine stretched between them.  Each line will be clearly labeled 50, 100, 150, 200,etc.  I have an old surveyors transit I can use to ensure the yardage lines are square to the shooting line. The stakes will form a landing area grid 50 yards wide.  I probably won't have to go past 500 yards if I keep it to primitive and modern non-flight bows. Arrows can be quickly measured within an inch or two of the nearest yardage line by using a steel surveyors tape. Layout of the yardage lines and measurement of the distances should go pretty fast with 2-3 people and a pair of radios.

Alan

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 04:41:30 pm »
  I like that Allen, an old transit can be purched very cheaply.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2015, 05:40:15 pm »
Surveyor's ropes are excellent for measuring distances.  They are made from fiberglass and will not stretch or expand very much due to weather/temp changes.  I saw one for about $63 on grainger.  100 meters.  That's what I'm going to use when I set up my range...  whenever that happens.   ::)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Badger

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2015, 01:11:39 pm »
Jack, thats what I currently use. If I am on a level surface I use my wheel that I roll along or a combination of both. I like the tape to lay out a course and the wheel for the shorter measures when I am working alone.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2015, 02:12:37 pm »
I've used wheels and they are OK on asphalt but really loose accuracy on grass or vegetation.  When I was recording telephone cable distances (for a cable TV company) there was a built-in error of 10% assumed for wheels and range finders.   I'd never use anything but tapes if I wanted accuracy.   :)

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Badger

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2015, 02:24:13 pm »
  I would never consider using a wheel for anything requiring accuracy.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2015, 03:34:52 pm »
I like the tape to lay out a course and the wheel for the shorter measures when I am working alone.

Why would you use a wheel for shorter distances?

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

Offline Badger

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2015, 04:29:57 pm »
Just so I don't have to lay out a tape.