Author Topic: Measuring distances  (Read 15836 times)

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Measuring distances
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2015, 05:25:52 pm »
 :)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline E. Jensen

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2015, 05:28:50 pm »
Its less accurate, but I'd pace it.  I've got my pace count down pretty well.

Offline PatM

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2015, 10:51:26 pm »
Its less accurate, but I'd pace it.  I've got my pace count down pretty well.
Does it go 1,2, 3 ,4 etc?  ;D

Offline E. Jensen

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2015, 11:42:09 pm »
12.5 paces per chain

Offline Jules

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2015, 09:12:06 am »
Maybe I'm reading this wrong but are we talking about measuring from a right angle from the shooting line or from the shooters position?

Offline Badger

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2015, 09:37:37 am »
  Jules, I like the right angle method presently used but as long as we all do it the same way it wouldn't be that important. Not a huge difference with a 50 yard wide field.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2015, 03:17:13 pm »
How do we figure in the wind or is it just noted ?
I am not sure there is ever an hour of no wind on this flat ground here .
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Badger

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2015, 03:41:41 pm »
  Buckeye, good point. Currently they simply use whatever wind to the advanatage of the shot. I have never liked this. I am working on a go no go type windsock where if it is on no go records would not count or they would be lableled as wind aided. I would think about 10 mph would be a reasonable number to shoot under. Might need some statistical info here to make a good call on a fair wind.

Offline Jules

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2015, 04:40:58 pm »
Wind measurer in the officials kit then? :P

Offline Badger

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2015, 04:57:37 pm »
  Thats would be my rcomendation. My opinions on things have no special or stronger influence on what we settle on. I do plan to argue them but will remain open to what the majority is in favor of. We may start with a preliminary trial year to make a few adjustment if needed in rules and such. It really should not be neccessary though.

Offline avcase

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2015, 08:01:59 pm »
I can try to provide some history on the wind speed debate.  It is not a new idea.  The wind factor has been debated numerous times in the last 100 years, and I am sure it was debated in the 1000 years before that among the Turks.  I will summarize why it hasn't gained traction up to this point in time.

1) The majority, if not all the top record shots have not taken place in high winds, regardless of wind direction. High winds tend to be very turbulent wreaking havoc on longer arrow flights.

2) A wind gauge at ground level doesn't necessarily indicate the wind conditions higher above the ground.  I've shot in winds blowing hard in the opposite direction 100 feet above the ground. Unlike the fastest car events, we are dealing with three dimensional space with our arrows.

3) A wind gauge says nothing about one of the biggest weather-related influences on long distance arrow flight, which is upward and downward thermals.

4) We have no control over the weather, so we are just introducing a layer of complexity to the event that will lead to potential delays and cancellations.  Either the conditions are safe for shooting, or they are not, and we don't shoot.

In the past, we have decided to take an early lunch break if the conditions are absolutely dead. Instead, I would favor shooting more rounds rather than sit tight and try to second guess the weather.

:)

Alan

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2015, 08:08:45 pm »
I wondered  about  that Alen
Thanks
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Badger

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2015, 08:19:18 pm »
  Good point Allen, I have always heard regular flight distances do better on calmer days while broadheads tend to benefit more from the wind. I would go along with just ignoring it.