Author Topic: 2015 Primitive Archer bow trade works in progress  (Read 343643 times)

Offline 2015bowtrade

2015 Primitive Archer bow trade works in progress
« on: February 06, 2015, 03:29:45 pm »
WELCOME PARTICIPANTS AND ONLOOKERS!

The deadline to ship is August 15th!

If you thought you had signed up but have not received a name contact this account (2015bowtrade), there might have been an issue with your information and/or loss of information after a certain computer crash.

If you’ve received your name and have questions please contact the officiator who sent your name.

Huisme
Marc Lipska
Home phone, ask for me: (360) 482-4564
I probably won't be around the phone as much as the others but should be online at least once a day to check messages.

JoJoDapyro
Joe Jacobsen
Cell: (801) 661 3238
I can text throughout the day, and take calls at random times. All calls after 3:30 mountain will be answered.

Steelslinger
Brad Miller
503-969-2801
I can take calls after 5pm pacific, and a reasonable amount of texts throughout the day.

Post here often to check in! If we haven’t heard from or seen you we will contact you first via PM, then phone to try to keep everyone on the same page. The officiators have divided their lists so we each only have nine participants to stalk ;)

We suggest getting at least two potential bows going so if anything goes wrong you don’t have to start from scratch- if you’re not breaking you’re not making!

If you become certain you cannot make a bow by the deadline please contact any of us, including this trade account! We will have to arrange for a backup bowyer and we will make note of the nature of your departure.

Anyone going cold turkey will go in the book.

Make the best bow you can and have fun!

Offline hunterbob

Re: 2015 Primitive Archer bow trade works in progress
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 04:09:30 pm »
I don't have any pictures to post . But I just got done heating in some reflex on a hhb bow I am working on . Everything is looking good so far. Maybe it will even get some tillering done the next two days . Who knows.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 04:24:51 pm »
I have a few ideas. Don't know how my guy feels about short bows. So maybe I just surprise him. I am thinking of sinew backed juniper, or black locust. Both are on the burner. Good luck all.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 06:22:33 pm »
JoJo, I think we had the same idea. I just got some sinew for a juniper bow and just roughed out a black locust for a bendy handle recurve. The BL is the primary though. While chasing a ring on the locust I came across a coupl of darker rings just under the sap wood that were significantly harder than the others. I want to start another bow from the same tree and and see if using these rings will make a performance difference. Though the rings weren't as good of ratio until I got much deeper. And I didn't think about using hear dark rings until I already cut through them.

Kyle

Offline Renacs

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 06:31:21 pm »
  was making good progress, but had the windcheck problem.  Now i'm considering  a short osage.  That might be the theme this year.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 06:33:43 pm »
I already know what my guy is getting. Now I just have to start working on it, hopefully get it started this weekend.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline bushboy

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 06:51:09 pm »
After a bit of research i'm kinda on the fence.not sure if I should kinda make my style or something closer to their style?that being said I don't really follow any style!lol!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 06:55:38 pm »
My thought on that Bushboy would b to give someone something that says it is from you.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 06:58:26 pm »
Ive got a piece of hickory ive been looking at off&on for a long while,think since it gonna be warmer tomarrow i'll fire up the band saw and get started on it  ;D
laugh. its good for ya

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2015, 07:36:24 pm »
I know what I'm making. Poor chap is getting a bendy molle.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2015, 07:51:32 pm »
That poor, poor soul. :)

Offline JonW

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2015, 08:46:04 pm »
I know my guy is getting something in the yella variety.

Offline duke3192

• pm109331
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2015, 09:19:09 pm »
Well I've already got one that I don't trust. I found out that carrot wood is an not native to Fl. as I thought it was, but is from Australia, it is tension strong but compression poor. I will see if I can do a lamanite, but until I know more about this wood from my workings it isn't going anywhere. I've got another exotic import, (podocarpus) Japanese yew, working it now, it will be boo backed and a modified ELB.
Happy dreams
charter member of traditional bow hunters of Florida.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2015, 10:19:50 pm »
So I plan on making a 58" takedown from these two 29" billets of 20yr old yeller wood. We'll see ;0)
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2015, 10:39:41 pm »
I have several choices, mostly going to be Osage. The thing is I just try to make a bow from what the wood is telling me. So my guy will surely get some yeller wood. Probably a character bow with a bit of reflexed tips. Maybe even make them static. Oh yeah it will most definitely be from some 70 year old fence post that never made it in the ground. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!