Author Topic: white oak board backing/finishing ?  (Read 4091 times)

Offline Rob W.

white oak board backing/finishing ?
« on: December 28, 2015, 03:24:53 pm »
I have about finished a white oak board bow. I wasn't happy with the look of a bonded leather backing I had put on so I removed it. Now I'm wondering what to put on there. I also wasn't happy with the stain I used so I have it sanded down. What do you guys think?

Also it has taken little set (about 1"). While I have the backing off would this bow benifit at all from belly tempering? I haven't flexed it much lately it had been 100% humidity here for the last few days.

Offline bubby

Re: white oak board backing/finishing ?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 03:58:15 pm »
Yes temper the belly, as far as backing snakeskins or cloth that has that pattern, rawhide or paper, it's up to you
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 06:09:50 pm »
Tempering the belly shouldn't hurt anything. My favorite backing material is linen, also cheap, easy, and can be purchased in different shades or colors on-line.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 06:33:15 pm »
Got a strip of the snakeskin patterned cloth for Rylie's bow. Lookin' forward to how it'll look.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857