Author Topic: Viewing results of flight shoots  (Read 16326 times)

Offline Badger

Re: Viewing results of flight shoots
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2015, 06:51:15 pm »
     Ian and Del, between the two of you I would feel confident that you guys could come up with a good definition if you run into an area where the two of you just cannot agree maybe we could moderate until we have a compromise.

What do you guys feel would be a fair arrow weight to test english long bows under. I am thinking about 8 grains per pound, certainly no less than 7 grains or heavier than 9 grains. This should give decent distances while still shooting in a tradtional ELB style.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2015, 03:51:10 am »
Some good suggestions Ian :).
You are offering ways of checking against the rules, which is the vital step that some definitions miss out.
I think a major point about a long self bow like a warbow is that the limit is the performance of the wood.
If anyone tries extreme reflex, they are likely to run out of draw length.
That's what I like about the ILAA spec (not a warbow spec' as such), it is well documented with a rationale explained for each definition.
I really like your rule applied to the back of the bow and no more reflex than so many inches (or mm) gap.
I'm currently working towards making a couple of warbows to ILAA spec with some deflex in the middle and right reflex in the outers. Overall the tips will pretty much be in line with the grip and hopefully they will have a smoother acceleration (this may just be bowyers optimism :laugh:).

I think the flatness/roundness is the big stumbling block if rigorous examination is undertaken. Many staves have concave features or grooves in the back which go from rounded to flat and even concave.
It need sto be worded very precisely, like:-
The back of the bow shall have some curvature across it checked against a reference profile for at least 80% of it's length.
A straight edge could also be used (as it is more readilly available), if the straight edge rocks rather than sitting flat across the back then it is curved.
The devil is in the detail and if it's not precise we can fall prey to pedants.

Regarding arrow weight, there should IMO, be one of the standard heavy warbow arrows and an "as light as you dare" >:D class to allow for absolute maximum distance.
The lighter warbows would be better shot as longbow class as anything under about 90# will struggle with a "standard" arrow.

Del
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 03:54:30 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Lucasade

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2015, 04:23:57 am »
Just to argue from a position of ignorance, it seems from reading the arguments on the warbow forums about various minutiae that just having an arrow weight specified, and possibly that the shaft must be made of wood, would help to reduce the chance of a protracted discussion as to whether a distance record should be recognised because the fletchings were bound on with white silk rather than red.

I think that what is trying to be achieved here is to make a flight shooting federation that allows people to use bows that they find interesting for whatever reason to record distances. What the warbow societies are trying to do is experimental archaeology. For example, if I make a heavy longbow that is profoundly influenced by the design of the English military longbow, but that also uses features that I find interesting or pleasing (or just cheaper to make) which haven't been found in the bottom of the Solent, then I would expect it to not necessarily be accepted at a formal event of an archaeological society but I would be disappointed if an organisation whose stated aim is to be as broad a church as possible to encourage flight shooting didn't tolerate it. That of course comes with the rider that those features aren't totally out of context, but as has already been said the nature of the materials will be self limiting.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2015, 07:22:11 am »
Exactly...
If we need a warbow definition, (after all, can't they just shoot as U/L longbow?) It should be as inclusive as possible and not overly pedantic. I think arrow weight may be better than "standard arrows" (which are expensive to buy or make).
After all, we have no wish to compete with or against the various Warbow societies who are welcomed to do their own thing.
... and just to fan the flames... I'd assume any loose which carries the archer over the shoot line wouldn't be allowed >:D
Del
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 07:25:35 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Jules

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2015, 02:35:48 pm »
Exactly...
If we need a warbow definition, (after all, can't they just shoot as U/L longbow?)

This is what i was thinking. Sure Mary Rose bows have specific dimensions but aren't they all variations of the English Longbows in the end?

Offline Jules

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2015, 05:55:28 am »
Another thing about results. Will the records coming out of this new federation be recorded 'from blank' (so a new start if you will) or will the current records be used to serve as a base 'to beat'.

Offline Badger

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2015, 08:47:31 am »
 Jules they will start from scratch, slightly different rules will make them not so comparable.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2015, 03:33:54 pm »
So if I go first I can have a world record if only for a minute  :laugh: :laugh:
Sign me up
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Badger

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2015, 03:37:46 pm »
     Buckeye, I imagine the first couple of years would be fun seeing records fall so fast.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2015, 04:01:32 pm »
The fun of seeing it all happen is what I am after Steve !
Passing it on to those that come later !
I most likely will not even compete
Are you going to make the Tennessee Classic this year ?
Maybe you can train us folks east of the big river then
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !