Author Topic: Can you recognize snakey osage before you split it?  (Read 6641 times)

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: Can you recognize snakey osage before you split it?
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2008, 09:43:27 pm »
Nosir Ryan - I got it tillered to around twenty inches and it started raining :). So I brought it in the house and glued on some tip overlays (Mescalbean, or Mexican mountain laurel root) purty stuff! I was pounding some sinew to back it too - so will be awhile before I can hit it again. Thanks for asking..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2008, 10:40:13 pm »
You lucky dog!!!
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2008, 11:19:16 pm »
Man, that sure is some pretty osage you got there Paul.

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2008, 01:57:50 pm »
Yes Paul that is nice. I like the snake to it as well. some snake is not as symetrical as others, you know like a real snake thats slithering. The one you posted sure does.

Sawfiler: I've only got one of the snnkey ones debarked yet. Give me a week or so and I will shoot some pics and PM you.

I tend to agree with what Paul said. It's really hard to tell from the outside if there is any snake to it until you get debarked and down to stave size on the splits. You can certainly see if it has twist from the bark , but snake curves are different. My personal, somewhat inexperienced opinion is that you can live with snake but not twist.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2008, 10:57:31 pm »
That is a special tree guys, thanks - I'm proud of it :). With what little I've done I feel the same - snakey I kinda like, twisted - well I'll avoid them if possible ;).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.