Author Topic: Shortest possible Osage Bow?  (Read 6641 times)

Offline Comancheria

Shortest possible Osage Bow?
« on: February 06, 2015, 11:29:16 pm »
Folks,

Tomorrow, I have to make some tough choices in cutting up two OO trunks.  Each varies in diameter from about 9 inches to 5 inches and each has about 18 feet of length, but with torn trunks near the bases (where they were joined) and various curves and amputated branches.  No way to photograph or describe them adequately to enable an observer to help me out--gotta just gut it up and decide where to log them out.  I am leaning toward cutting so as to preserve the two or three straightest and thickest pieces--about 58-70" long--letting the rest fall where they may.  Still, I might choose to divide them into 40-55 inch logs, so as to get as many possible staves as I can.

So my question: What, in your various opinions would be the SHORTEST survivable, OO bow--if one were willing to back it?  Not saying I would sacrifice a straight, 66" piece in order to get a couple of 40-inchers.  But having an idea of the shortest theoretical possible bow would be helpful as I prepare to Texas Chainsaw Murder these trunks. 

(I am not, at this point, interested I'm creating and working with billets).

Thanks,

Russ
When sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane are outlawed, only outlaws will have sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane!

Offline sleek

Re: Shortest possible Osage Bow?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 11:34:29 pm »

Shortest I ever made. Pulls about 4" back. Its probably 6" long.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Comancheria

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 11:41:30 pm »
Sleek--That is a gorgeous little creation!  And The Good Lord knows that may be the the longest I will get out of these "logs" of mine. 😊

And by implication, you raise a good point--to answer my question, someone might well ask how ligjt I would be willing to go.  I would say, a straight-limbed, bendy-handle plains bow of say, 35 pounds at 24 inches.

NICE little bow!

Russ
When sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane are outlawed, only outlaws will have sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 11:49:47 pm »
I made a 49.5" sinew backed osage bow that pulled 50# & 24"

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=33741.0
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 11:50:04 pm »
For a 24" draw is say at least 48"
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline sleek

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 11:55:38 pm »
Paddle bows are short and very very wide. Depends on your design. Twice your draw length is a good rule for a bendybut thats with no mention of draw weight and bow width.

Thanks for the compliment.  It was fun.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 11:56:39 pm »
 8) I'm getting ready to try a couple short osage.  I have all the makings, all I have to do is make the damn thing work :laugh:
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline bowster

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2015, 04:12:39 am »
This is my shortest functional osage bow.
I´ve called it "David", because so small, but strong. I´ve made it of a rest piece, which was bent in asll directions, and needed a lot of corrections.
The naked facts: 45,7" sinew length,60#/27", weight: 318gram, it has even a stiff handle.

Offline sleek

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2015, 07:02:29 am »
Love that bow.

Deflex can really help a shorty.

Offline half eye

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2015, 09:21:09 am »
Hey Russ,
       I know this isn't exactly what you asked but maybe worth considering anyway. I probably make as many short bows as anybody so take it with a grain of salt. The biggest issue with real short bows is in the shooting of them. Unless you are comfortable with learning to "shoot short" the finished bows wont be so enjoyable to you after the satisfaction of making them wears off.
      All I'm saying is look at your logs like you want to make "X" amount of bows that will suit your comfort zone.... and then figure what to do with the rest; short sinewed, self, or even billets to trade later on.
      Took the long way around to say get as many bows of a proper length for you as you can instead of as many shorties as possible. I hate wasting wood more than anybody but I sincerely believe you will be better served in getting as many staves as will make good solid bows for your purpose.

Just One guys opinion,
rich

Offline Comancheria

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2015, 09:53:45 am »
Thanks, everyone.

Nice bows, Bowster and Clint.  Had not seen either of those.

Clint: does that bow have as much deflect as I think I see in the first picture?  Understood what you say, Sleek, about deflect helping--I am not there yet, but hopefully will get comfortable with building some in.

Rich: your point is quite valid.  I am probably going to cut to get 3 or 4 long, straight logs.  My draw length is right at 27 1/2 inches--I call it 28--and if I used a shorter bow, with the attendant anchor problems, it would be from a ground blind at no more than 10 yards.

The main reason for this question is that one of the trunks has a real deep bend.  If cut properly, I could get (maybe) a 42 inch log with about 8 inches of natural deflex--hardly worth shortening the two cuts at the ends of the curve.

Offline JonW

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2015, 10:06:37 am »
Russ Rich nailed it for ya. Here is an idea for a piece with some natural deflex.
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,36465.msg480108.html#msg480108

Offline Comancheria

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2015, 10:19:32 am »
Nice little bow, Jon.  It surely looks shorter than 46 inches in the picture--either that, or you are 8 feet tall!😊

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2015, 12:02:30 pm »
just depends on you and what you want to shoot,, I can shoot a 20 inch draw pretty good,, 40 inch bow,, but have seen many Navtive bows shorter,, so just up to you,, when I shoot through the chrono,, as the bows get above 20 inches draw toward the 24 inch draw, ,they seem to have a little better cast,, thats my 2 cents,, enjoy the wood,,B

Offline Comancheria

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2015, 12:57:54 pm »
Thanks for the info.  I sectioned that dog into 7 pieces.  Will
Post when I overcome the picture/iPhone challenge.  If nothing else, I came away with a real pretty chopping block.😊