Author Topic: Shortest possible Osage Bow?  (Read 6640 times)

Offline Comancheria

Re: Shortest possible Osage Bow?
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2015, 02:09:03 pm »
So far, this is the only OO I have found on any of my family's land.  And so far, my cousin in East Texas has not come through.  The potentially good news is that, as I was pulling out of the pasture with my seven logs, Butch, who takes care of my cattle, pulled me over and told me he has found several trees on land he leases for grass--on a local river.  He said he saw one that is straight, about 16 inches thick--with enough length to maybe get two lengths from 6 to 8 feet long.  I told him to get permission from the owner and he said it won't be a problem since those trees are a nuisance and he cuts them all the time for corner posts.  Let's hope!

Russ
When sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane are outlawed, only outlaws will have sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane!

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2015, 02:27:48 pm »
I made this little thing (40#@25", 46" ntn) out of black locust, so in theory osage will do it with less set.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,49241.msg672094.html#msg672094
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline Comancheria

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2015, 04:11:03 pm »
Nice little bow, Huisme.  I assume you didn't back it?
When sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane are outlawed, only outlaws will have sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane!

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2015, 06:44:16 pm »
Nope, and it's still shooting. It's the only bow I still have that I made for myself ::) ;D
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.