Author Topic: Working Outside  (Read 3233 times)

Offline arachnid

Working Outside
« on: February 09, 2015, 08:39:22 am »
Hi Guys... Just wondering, Does any of you work out side? no workbench, no vice, just you, minimum tools, the stave and nature?
I watched Primitive Pathways primitive bowmaking videos so many times and it`s looks like a lot of fun...

Has anyone tried it with lamintaed bows?

Dor

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Working Outside
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 09:29:28 am »
I work out side all the time but not without work benches/tools exc.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 09:43:03 am »
    I work outside in a very small area, I do most all of my work either on my lap or sitting on my shaving horse. I use cawls set on saw horses.

Offline arachnid

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 09:45:47 am »
I really want to try it... looks so natural, sitting on a stomp with a rasp in one hand, bow blank in the other....

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 10:00:19 am »
When I started making bows I worked in a 5X7 corner of the garage on bad days but out in the yard on good days. I did have bench power tools and an old bandsaw that I would haul out and use outside to keep the dust out of the house. I did all my stave prep out in the yard on a shave horse and a draw knife.

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 10:06:05 am »
I make all my bow outside with no bench etc. Even laminated bows. My belt sander for flattening lams is a board with sandpaper stuck to it. I am the motor.

Offline arachnid

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 10:11:39 am »
I make all my bow outside with no bench etc. Even laminated bows. My belt sander for flattening lams is a board with sandpaper stuck to it. I am the motor.

;D How many horse power?
Can take a picture of your "belt sander"?

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 10:12:17 am »
Same her.  Almost everything I do is outside in the open air.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Comancheria

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 10:31:02 am »
Don't know if I will end up doing it or not, but my plan is to get some sort of Workmate, Jawhorse, or similar device, then shape the boards or staves on a bandsaw in the garage--and do the rasping, scraping, tillering, and finishing on the back patio.

Russ
When sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane are outlawed, only outlaws will have sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane!

Offline PatM

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 10:42:08 am »

;D How many horse power?
Can take a picture of your "belt sander"?
2 horsepower.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2015, 11:34:17 am »
I do almost all of mine outdoors. I have a 4" vice I bolt to the picanic table  that I use for debarking and roughing the bow out with draw knife and then the rest of it is pretty much free hand with the rasp, scrapper and sand paper. I will sometimes use my mikita hand belt sander clamped upside down to do some initial tip reductions.

When I first got started I lived in the suburbs and had to clamp everything to the deck rails on the back deck. Did alot of debarking with a big ole osage stave clamped to it. But things evolve as time goes on. I think I'm kind of a minamalist. I can afford a nice bandsaw but I don't have one. I have an old 12" 1/2hp craftsman that I bought on craigslist but have'nt learned to work it effectively so I just always go with what I know and grab the drawknife and rasp. Hard to make major mistakes with the hand tools. 
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2015, 12:48:56 pm »
I work outside as much as I can. Unfortunately, this time of year in Oregon, the rains force me inside a lot, but when the clouds clear for a little winter sunshine, I open the doors and pull the stavemaster outside.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline carpholeo

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2015, 01:07:30 pm »
Be carful with the belt sander clamped upside down, part of my hand got sucked inbetween the belt and the roller cover, hamburger city! I went and bought a bench model after that blunder.

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2015, 06:15:03 pm »
I work in an unheated garage for what thats worth. Its been about 15 out there so I just heat temper to bump up the temps a bit.
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2015, 04:45:45 pm »
  All the time, depending on mood.  I do all my machete workout on a stump.