Author Topic: Flight erra of the 1930's and 40's  (Read 8002 times)

Offline Badger

Flight erra of the 1930's and 40's
« on: February 09, 2015, 08:24:33 pm »
   This is my favorite era and an era I would like to learn more about the rules in. I feel like our group would be doing good if we just became a continuation of this. I might change my mind if I knew the rules of course.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Re: Flight erra of the 1930's and 40's
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 08:51:33 pm »
I might even try to build one  but expect nothing short of mediocre. As a side note I just received these in the mail today. I have no clue to what these are made from but they are very light in weight and seem to be fairly heavy spine. I'll weigh and check in again tomorrow. These are hex shaped shafts at present.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 11:15:14 pm »
Pretty sure the rules were shoot an arrow as far as you can. They had weight classes but I'd be surprised if it went beyond that.

Offline redhawk55

• bowXplosion
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 03:43:57 am »
Yes, I would like to know the weights and diameters(tapered?) of these shafts. Did you know when these arrows were made?

PatM: "one size fits all class" ? Would make a lot of things easier?
Michael
..........the way of underdoing.............

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 06:53:59 am »

PatM: "one size fits all class" ? Would make a lot of things easier?
Michael
That reminds me.. a while back there was a Soccer player over here, surname Fitzhall.
His nickname was "One size"  ;D
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline avcase

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 04:28:50 am »
In the 1930's and 1940's there wasn't any seperation for bow types except for hand shot Vs Foot shot. Arrows were often shorter than our current minimum 23" standard. In the 1940's, many arrows had hard plastic acetate vanes.  Common draw weight categories were 50, 65, 80, and Unlimited. Only youth were given a 35-lb class.

There were flight rounds for what were called Roving, Target, or Hunting tackle, but there were no unique rules for these bows and no draw weight categories.  What set this apart from the regular flight competitions is they had to shoot the same bows and arrows that they used in the earlier target rounds.

Alan

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 07:53:39 am »
  Those acetate vanes I am sure were helpful. Our proposed flight only seperates beween self, composite and horn bows. I favor longer over draws and feather rests with no distinction between bow types.

Our trad rounds wuld be similar to the roving rounds they mentioned. Ours might better be reffered to as bowyers rounds as they would be tailored  toward bowyers comparing the cast of their bows against other bowyers and designs. A very distinct difference to regular flight shooting.

Offline PatM

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 10:26:14 am »
 If we're really going to compare we need an "open" class where anything goes. Who doesn't want to see a shoot-off between a self or simple backed bow and a Turkish bow?

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 12:00:11 pm »
 Pat regular flite is pretty much that anything goes. They will all have the same rules for the most part as for arrows and strings. The records willl be shown in different groups but easily compared to each other and they will be shooting side by side.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 12:20:35 pm »
^^^  That sounds like a lot of fun