Author Topic: sidewinder buildalong  (Read 51558 times)

Offline bubby

Re: sidewinder buildalong
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2015, 10:07:54 am »
Yeah puck those are blind man rings >:D and if this bind guy could chase them you are fine :laugh:
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Stringman

« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2015, 10:20:49 am »
Gonna have to follow along in this one. Purty cool idea, Danny!  ;)

Offline Puckaway

« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2015, 12:11:20 pm »
UPDATE: I cleaned up the back of my stave last night. I noticed what looks like a hairline crack on the edge of the limb. I've rasped it down some. Its in the inside of the snakey limb. If I keep going deeper the snake will get more pronounced. I've also reset my layout lines to 1 1/2". I'm a little stuck. The second pic shows where I violated the grain a bit on the same limb which was one of the original reasons I thought of backing it. If I chase down to that ring I may really be in a pickle because That ring and all the underlying rings are super thin and I don't know if I'll be able to maintain it. What should my next course of action be?

Offline bubby

« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2015, 12:22:21 pm »
From what i can see that crack won't hurt anything iymt doesn't run off the edge does it, just clean up the back and go to town, if you are really worried you can back it with thin rawhide
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Puckaway

« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2015, 01:11:13 pm »
It appears to just run straight a few rings in from the back about 3" long. Its hard to say how deep it may be. either way this is a great learning experience. I can't wait for the weather to break so I can work bows outside. My basement is not well suited at the moment.

Offline Shaneisneato

• Somewhere around Louisville
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2015, 01:19:52 pm »
Just got mine in the mail today! Haven't had much of a chance to look at it but it looks good. Dark brownish-orange and a little bit of snake and twist to it. I will probably get another bow or two under my belt before I tackle it.  :laugh:

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2015, 11:26:42 pm »
Started mine today. Had to work down a couple rings. Tomorrow will draw on profile and cut out.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2015, 12:29:54 pm »
Here's what I got
64" ish 1 3/4" ish wide

Slight twist on one end

Front

Side

Wondering about a belly split.  What do you guys think?

Offline jesswprater

« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2015, 12:51:08 pm »
This is going to be great to watch! Sidewinder, you have helped a lot of people that did not live in Osage country experience building with the wood. That is a great generosity on your part!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2015, 01:02:57 pm »
Matt, I would take it down to a clean ring on the back first and then look at how much depth is left.  Hard to tell from the pictures if there is enough meat for a belly split.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline JonW

« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2015, 02:37:13 pm »
Matt I wouldn't mess with a belly split. After chasing a ring there are some spots that look like it won't be thick enough.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2015, 02:38:17 pm »
That's what I was thinking Clint, hope it works out.  I have a little remodling this weekend but I think I can find a little time to chase a ring.  The rings are pretty nice on this stave so it shouldn't take too long.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2015, 01:26:21 pm »
I agree with Jon. You might be able to split some off the belly but probably not enough for a good bow. I do  like to split the belly down some to reduce the time on the draw knife I have. I would leave at least 1 1/2" thick at the handle to start with.
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2015, 09:17:38 pm »
Got mine tillered  out to just past brace on low string then heated some prop twist out. Will put on the rawhide backing tomorrow possibly. Question what do I do with rawhide when going over a hole? Do I  cut out the hole when I apply it? Never had to deal with a hole yet. I must say I am in love with osage. It works so nice.
In all your ways acknowledge  him and he will make your paths straight.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2015, 11:12:22 pm »
Got mine today and it looks great!! Can't wait to post some pics!!! I'll be looking for advice for sure.