Author Topic: Founding a new worldwide Primitive flightbow federation?  (Read 71944 times)

Offline Lukasz Nawalny

• Lukasz Nawalny
    • Camelot bows
Re: Founding a new worldwide Primitive flightbow federation?
« Reply #180 on: February 28, 2015, 03:58:08 am »
In new federation/club will be not such class like modern asiatic, modern longbow etc, only primitive ? I dont like rule USA flight carbon arrows for modern asiatic. Modern asiatic is still maybe not primitive but traditional form of bow. Modern material in bows and bowstring dont give big advantage but carbon arrow ruin all. It looks for me - who can spend more money on better arrows make better shoot. X10 olimpic shafts cost a lot and 5,5 mm diameter with huge stiffnes its more what we can do from wood

Offline Jules

« Reply #181 on: February 28, 2015, 12:08:40 pm »
There will be a 'true' flight division and a traditional division (with different set bow types). Both will only be allowed to use natural materials.

Offline avcase

« Reply #182 on: February 28, 2015, 03:36:57 pm »
The shoots I listed cater to both primitive and modern material events.  The primitive specific divisions have enjoyed relatively high participation, but there's always room for more! I hope this new primitive forum and any new organizations that promote primitive flight helps raise the level of interest and competition in this sport.

The Modern Asiatic division is a new addition and caters to those who shoot "horse bows" and thumb-draw target type equipment using modern materials. The decision to allow carbon arrows was put in because many people who shoot those events shoot carbon arrows and wanted them included.

All natural material horn bows and wood bows are shot in the primitive divisions and I'd love to see more people give it a try. 

Alan

Offline redhawk55

• bowXplosion
« Reply #183 on: April 21, 2015, 05:07:55 am »
Why not doing it as easy as in Poland?
Go here: http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,52178.0.html

One class fits all!

Michael
..........the way of underdoing.............

Offline Badger

« Reply #184 on: April 22, 2015, 07:59:34 pm »
     It does look easy, if a need ever arose to rewrite the official rules I am sure they would respond in time. Just skip the traditional classes altogether and go straight flight shooting. The trad classes seem to confuse a lot of people anyway. I actually prefer what I had hoped to become a trad class over regular flight but not enough nterest to really bother with it.

Offline Lukasz Nawalny

• Lukasz Nawalny
    • Camelot bows
« Reply #185 on: April 23, 2015, 03:24:24 am »
I want make popular flight shooting in traditional form in Europe and in my opinion rules must be easy. I dont have enough knowledge about modern flight - modern fligtbows, recurve, compound etc. I make primitive bows many years and traditional form of archery is my
passion. In Poland most popular are bows in traditional ,historical form made of synthetic materials. I try to show people that primitive, natural bows can shoot so good like fieberglass or carbon bows. Therefore I dont make divide on synthetic and natural bows, only draw weight classes. Im still novice in flight shooting but Im sure that is true, when all use wooden arrows. Not all can make bow, but all can make some arrow. I saw in this year many intresting solutions and arrow making was realy fun for all this people.  Longbow funs have ofcourse small chances to win, but longbowman it is a state of mind, I know becouse im longbowman too :) And all have great fun.

Offline Badger

« Reply #186 on: April 24, 2015, 10:51:09 am »
      Lukasz, when first starting off in flight shooting I feel much different about it today. I see primitive flight shooting and what is known as conventional modern flight archery as very pure sports. The object being to cast an arrow as far as you can. Primitive being all natural materials and conventional being modern modern materials. beatiful sport where the equipment has one purpose in the design.

After a few years of competing I began to realize that the traditional classes don't really make a lot of sense as they are shot. A traditioanl bow is designed with a purpose in mind that is not flight shooting. It is either hunting, target or warfare. Once the competition to break world records starts the motivation to alter the bows design favoring flight qualities starts comming into play. My belief is that these classes should be either eliminated all together or shot as they were intended with limits on arrow length and arrow weight in place to keep the designs honest.

The only true flight shooting is conventional flight shooting as far as I am concerned but shooting traditional bows for best cast is a great sport initself if kept tradtional.

Offline Lukasz Nawalny

• Lukasz Nawalny
    • Camelot bows
« Reply #187 on: April 24, 2015, 04:38:59 pm »
Im sure you have right. Traditional archery flight be never pure sport, to many differences in equipment.  English longbows, turkish. manchu, kyudo,recurve  selfbows and many others. Each have different flight potential. So for me great distance is only nice bonus not priority. Most important is that we can meet together, shoot and talk about our passion.

Offline Badger

« Reply #188 on: April 24, 2015, 04:59:31 pm »
  I agree, the social aspect is what keeps me comming back. I actually prefer the traditional bows to the conventional flight but would like to see them shot closer to what they were designed for.

Offline avcase

« Reply #189 on: April 27, 2015, 09:32:47 pm »
Steve,
I really appreciate what you are trying to do for flight archery. I see you trying to keep it as relevant as possible for the average hunter or target shooter as possible. But it is kind of like riding lawnmower racing. It starts with a few old guys in the neighborhood racing their clunkers in a nearby vacant lot, and before long, they start tweaking the machines to the point that they are worthless for mowing a lawn, but can zip around a track at 100mph!

I keep trying to think of an easy way to set up a flight shoot with normal working-type bows and I really struggle with it. 40-50+ years ago, the flight round had to be shot with the same bows and arrows that were used for earlier target rounds. Even then, some folks, like Harry Drake or the Pierson's, may have been willing to lose at the target rounds but make up for it on the flight round.

The easiest flight format I've seen is to let people shoot what they want and lump the results all together.  What makes it interesting is the added info that describe the draw weight, bow type, arrow, string, and shooting style. I think this format can really shine a light on someone who may not come in first, but happened to shoot a primitive bow, natural string and primitive arrows nearly as far as the modern bows.  The Polish shoot results are really interesting to read because of the variety of bows that were shot together.  It didn't seem to hurt the competition given the large number of shooters who participate.

Alan

Offline Badger

« Reply #190 on: April 27, 2015, 09:59:32 pm »
  Allen, I am starting to agree with you. If the particapants maintain interest it will naturally evolve into flight bows. There really is not enough interest to do anything else. I Happily concede to enjoy it as is. Primitive I see no need for any changes in anyway aside from a couple of additonal weight classes.