Author Topic: venison shoulder - does anybody have a good recipe?  (Read 7494 times)

Offline H Rhodes

venison shoulder - does anybody have a good recipe?
« on: February 15, 2015, 05:56:42 pm »
I have saved a couple of fine shoulders from a young buck I took last week and have never had much luck getting a shoulder roast to taste right.  I usually grind up and cube steak from the deer I kill, but this one was aged right, cleanly killed, and these shoulders ought to be good meat.   If anyone has a good recipe for shouders I would sure appreciate it.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline chamookman

Re: venison shoulder - does anybody have a good recipe?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 04:11:42 am »
Howard - I always do them just like a Pot Roust. Low and slow with lots of Onions, with a half cup of Lea&Perrins added. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline neuse

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 07:39:23 am »
Use seasonings of your choice, add some canned Jalapeno juice.

Put the shoulder in one of those large aluminum disposable pans and cook on the grill.

You may want to cover with foil for part of the tome to keep the moisture in.

Cook it till the meat falls from the bone.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 09:14:32 pm »
Sounds good.  Someone reminded me of the shoulders that were served at the Classic last year.  Maybe some of the Twin Oaks folks can tell me what kind of magic y'all worked on them.  That was good meat, as I recall. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 04:54:19 am »
I thought this thread would have had a hundred replies by now. I am like most. I use it mostly for stew beef or hamburger or fajitas. I never have enough of that stuff anyway. I guess if I was to use it for something else I would try slow smoking with a dry rub to sliced BBQ to be served with garlic bread.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 08:12:53 pm »
I thought this thread would have had a hundred replies by now. I am like most. I use it mostly for stew beef or hamburger or fajitas. I never have enough of that stuff anyway. I guess if I was to use it for something else I would try slow smoking with a dry rub to sliced BBQ to be served with garlic bread.

I know!  I guess lots of folks have learned what I have learned - that it is real easy to cook a shoulder that isn't fit to eat.  Chief RID, I have usually ended up grinding shoulders for hamburger too.  The smoker seems like a logical place to try.  Hell, if hickory smoke doesn't make something taste good, there is no hope for it. :D
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 07:34:13 pm »
Howard, heres a recipe from a game cookbook that I tried twice last year and it came out really good. They call for a hind leg but I used whole shoulders, just adjust your cooking time to suit. When I made it I didn't have any juniper berries so I just added some gin to the paste  :o, worked well.
Liked it enough that all my venison shoulders will be left whole and cooked like this from now on.
Eat like a Caveman!!
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 09:10:45 pm »
Thanks brother.  Gonna try this out this weekend. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 09:53:21 pm »
Cut all meat away from shoulder blade and bone. Put in a slow cooker with two cans Cream of Mushroom soup. You can add additional sliced mushrooms if desired (I do). Sprinkle some dried onion flakes and pepper on top. You may add 1/4 cup of water but not neccessary. Cook for 4-6 hours or until meat starts falling apart...

Mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli buttered as side dish....

Careful, your tongue will slap your brains out trying to get all of it...
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 06:56:22 am »
I never leave any bone or fat or tendon in deer meat. That is all discarded in processing.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2015, 05:30:51 am »
I agree with the bone & fat comment, with the exception of a Neck Roast(My second favorite cut). I always leave the bone in on these - love them !
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2015, 09:35:42 am »
Bone in adds a lot of flavor.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2015, 05:15:06 pm »
Anything in a crock pot with mushroom soup has to be good!  Thanks.  I think deer fat tastes bad.  I always get rid of as much of the fat as possible.  Now, the bone...  yep, I agree.  A neck roast with bell peppers and a little onion,  cooked all to pieces in that same crock pot is hard to beat. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2015, 04:02:01 am »
Bone-in neck roast will have to be on the list for camp supper this year for sure. Wonder if someone has one for turkey camp? I will have to check.