Author Topic: Bamboo backed Ipe  (Read 6485 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Bamboo backed Ipe
« on: February 15, 2015, 07:52:42 pm »
Came across these pics today of a bow I tillered out several years ago, the date taken places the pics at 2004.  I got this blank from Steve after I sent him a static recurve to shoot at the salt flats.  I was a bit surprised with the Bamboo when I got the blank, it was fully 1/4" thick in some places and at 7/8" wide the bow was also quite narrow.  This made the bow quite difficult to tiller especially with 4" of glued in reflex.  Lateral stability was virtually non-existent, I don't remember what I finally did to stabilize it.  The bow was 64" long and I tillered the bow out to 25" where I think it was pulling 60#.  At 64" long and 7/8" wide with the Bamboo nearly as thick as the Ipe when finished, the bow was a handful.  At the time I would auction stuff off at Paleo and that is what I did with this one, Steve got it.  I remember that when he tested it he posted that it was quite fast even with heavy arrows.  He was going to shoot it at the flats but I think he tested it into oblivion before getting there :)

Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Aaron H

Re: Bamboo backed Ipe
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 09:26:27 pm »
Cool skinny bow Marc

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 03:07:26 am »
Lateral stability... nightmare.
I've had it big time on the ocasional ELB I've made from skinny offcuts.
I think I cured it by sawing 'em into 10" lengths and burning 'em >:D.
At one roving shoot I saw a Yew ELB that some guy was shooting, it had gone sideways big time and was pulling at about45 degrees to the sap/heart boundary. It seemed to shoot !  :o
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 06:00:52 am »
  Del, I had failed with several of those because of the lateral stability. I sent that to Mark not telling him that to see if he could tiller it out. He didn't seem to have any problem with it.