Author Topic: Why So Much $$  (Read 9067 times)

Offline Greebe

Why So Much $$
« on: December 04, 2014, 05:06:11 pm »
Hey guys,

I was a subscriber over ten years ago and loved the magazine. I also was very active on the forums back then. At some point my issues kept getting lost so I never renewed my subscription.

Now I would like to get a subscription again however I was very surprised :o to see that it is $28 for only six issues.

Why is the price so high now, when most mags out there are $15-$20 for 12 issues? Shoot, one of the last gun mags I got was $18 for 24 issues over two years.

Like I said I love the mag and would like to get it again but why the high price?

Greebe

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Why So Much $$
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 09:07:15 pm »
Have you seen how much groceries have gone up in ten years? A lot has happened with the economy in that time. But, in my opinion the magazine is a lot better now then it was ten years ago. Better articles, nicer photos and just all around more professional looking. And, there is not as many adds that you are paying for in the Gun Mag's.

I get Muzzleloaders Magazine, $29 for 6 issues and Backwoodsman $24 for 6 issues. Not much different.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Greebe

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 09:55:13 pm »
Very true. I must still be stuck in the 90's as far as prices go. >:D  Wages have not gone up but everything else is including materials, shipping, utilities, and employee benefits.

Still hard to get my mind around the increase in prices of everything these days.

Thanks,
Greebe

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 11:25:13 pm »
The starting wage at my job has gone up $5 an hour at my job in 10 years. Insurance also increases about 10% a year. Everything has gotten more expensive, I got my first issue today, can't wait to dive in!
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 04:53:21 am »
Hi Guys, speaking as an overseas subscriber I would just like to point out that PA is an absolute gold plated bargain compared to magazine prices here in the UK.  Magazines produced here for my other hobbies (motorcycling, photography etc) cost around £4.50 for each issue (approximately $7 US).  Even when discounts are applied for annual subscriptions they still cost far more than PA, the result being that PA is the only magazine that I have subscribed to over a long period - 6 years now  :D
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

Offline lenador

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 08:11:41 am »
A point I would like to make is that PA seems like a small production with really personal high quality articles and advertisement that you actually care about. A big magazine ran by some huge publishing company usually seems like  the Maxine fairy fly's through and sprinkles some catchy face titles, lots of advertisements about who knows what, and some poorly written articles.
 I've yet to subscribe but I often buy the issues and it is one of the few that I dont regret when I buy it. Some mags catch your eye and you are like ooooooooooh 😀. And then you buy it and read it and get to the last page and not even remember seeing the article you wanted to read.
Failure isn't a loss unless you cease to move forward from it.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 09:10:40 am »
Most larger productions are mostly ads. I really appreciate the personal touch yesterday. I called, and was disconnected. I was called back and had everything taken care of. 28 bucks for 6 issues is less than 5 bucks each. I spend 5 dollars a day on far less useful items.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.