Author Topic: Better shooting in low light?  (Read 4328 times)

Offline missilemaster

Better shooting in low light?
« on: January 27, 2015, 01:59:12 pm »
 Hey guys, I was wondering if this happens to anyone else. The other night I was shooting at 18-20 yards. All I could see was the faint bulls eye and the outline of the target. I was drilling bulls eyes!
    My thoughts are that when you cannot consciously see the arrow, you are truely shooting purely instinctively. 
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline paulsemp

Re: Better shooting in low light?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 02:34:12 pm »
most of my shooting seems to be when its dark out also after the kids have gone down. I seem to shoot better and I think for the reason is that you're not distracted by anything else going on. Although I am shooting in the backyard and always worried about aaron going astray

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 03:32:46 pm »
Cody, I think it also has to do with less peripheral clutter, like shooting at a candle flame in a dark room.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 06:24:57 pm »
sounds logical. Another thing that probably helps is that I am left eye dominant but shoot right handed. In low light my left eye cannot pull the arrow to the left so to speak, because it cant see it!
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline mhof86

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 12:30:02 pm »
Might also have to do with not being lazy. Low light or any conditions that cause an added level of stress might be forcing you to pay more attention to your overall form and point of aim. I know when I shoot at night or in low light I am a lot more focused on everything that goes into me taking that shot compared to shooting in prime or relaxed conditions.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 09:04:13 pm »
Cody, I'm with Pat, I focus better when I can just see what I'm shooting at. The hardest target on the 3-D range for me is that skinny, Doe target, broadside in the middle of a field.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 09:41:40 pm »
It could certainly have something do to with focus and concentration.  Less light makes it easier to ignore outlying stimulus.  I prefer reading in a dark room with one low wattage bulb over one shoulder or the other.  I also have a pretty bad form of Attention Deficit Dis...

Did you know it was 73 degrees in the Black Hills yesterday?  New record for this date.

Oh, crap, gotta get my turkey applications in.  Which reminds me, I gotta get out that little bow from Soy so I can practice.

Someone remind me to get back to that set of 12 ash arrows I was straightening, why can't I remember to finish those arrows?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 07:57:28 am »
Don't listen to this guy fella's, he shoots 10 rings in the daylight just as well!

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 09:48:29 am »
Ya he ant a slouch in good light either, :) not as good as his little brother but still pretty good. ;) :) :) 
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2015, 09:33:47 pm »
 YOUR NOT SUPOSE TO WATCH YOUR ARROW FLY.

Pick a spot, never take your eyes off the spot,draw,ankor don't do anything until you HERE you arrow hit. If your watching your arrow your dropping your bow arm to see it.
  I n the dark not seeing the whole target you can't see the arrow so you start to lesson. You don't do anything until you here your arrow hitting. BAM your shooting better.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 06:27:44 pm »
I found the same thing at a novelty shoot at our archery club. We had a coon shoot at night shooting targets with flashlights. I was surprised at how well I shot. Like you say, being able to focus only on the light beam I was totally focused on the spot. I was feeling pretty cool until we got lost in the woods but that's another story...