Author Topic: Back Tension  (Read 4477 times)

Offline jayman448

Back Tension
« on: February 25, 2015, 05:24:56 am »
simply: how do you achieve it? there must be many ways to get there, so what "motions" do you/ should you go through to achieve it?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Back Tension
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 08:29:06 am »
When you hit full draw, bring your shoulder blades together.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jayman448

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 10:26:11 pm »
 ??? huh... a lot less mystical then i thought... XD

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 11:54:13 pm »
It will a an inch or two to your draw length also.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 09:36:12 am »
You should feel back tension throughout the draw. When you hit your anchor point, continue to squeeze your shoulder blades together until you release. I do that by pushing my chest forward just a bit when I'm at anchor.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 11:09:51 am »
That's what I meant to say, Adam.  ::)

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 09:14:21 pm »
  Thats for shooting across the yard. Trying to acheave that 2 inch group at 30 yards. Who thinks of the right back tension when there's a 200 # 10 point moveing past you at 10,12 yards. You better think of one thing. PICK A SPOT I pick the crease behind the front leg about 3/4 ways up towards the top. I'll pick a spot, a hair,group of hair,diffent color, anything I can fouce on.

Way to many other things (dozzens flashing by). You can bet I'm not thinking back tension. WERE SHOOTING OLD SLOW BOWS NOT THE 300 FPS bows where 3 grains makes a differance.

Heck I hav'nt weighted a arrow or point for years. Don't much matter at 10 yards.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 04:51:44 pm »
True but some of like shooting a bow for other reasons than just shooting  a monster buck and form does matter.  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 05:09:14 pm »
If you practise proper form long enough, including good habits like back tension, they become second nature, and when that big buck does walk within range, all you have to do is pick a spot and muscle memory will take care of the rest. I dare say your chances of success to tag that big buck will be a lot better if you do practise good form.

Offline jayman448

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 07:41:58 pm »
If you practise proper form long enough, including good habits like back tension, they become second nature, and when that big buck does walk within range, all you have to do is pick a spot and muscle memory will take care of the rest. I dare say your chances of success to tag that big buck will be a lot better if you do practise good form.

+1

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 09:23:22 pm »

+1

It doesn't matter what you do when the big buck walks into range.  What matters is ALL the training you did (or didn't) up to that point!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline adb

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 09:40:00 pm »
Yes... well said!! I remember one year when I was doing a lot of International (Olympic) type skeet shooting. I attended Canadian Nationals a couple of years. Those two falls I hunted, I was murder on upland birds. I couldn't miss. Birds on the ground before I even knew it. Muscle memory is a wonderful thing!