Author Topic: Making knives  (Read 7146 times)

Offline Wulamoc

Making knives
« on: January 22, 2008, 04:56:59 pm »
Where does one purchase handle pins?
And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. GEN-21:20

Michigan

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
Re: Making knives
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 05:39:22 pm »
A couple options here.  You can run a search for knife making supplies, check online auctions or make your own.  For plain brass pins, I go to the hardware store and buy brass brazing rods and just cut off the length I need for the pins.  For the fancy bullseye pins, I buy brass screws and nuts longer than I need, Put two nuts on a steel screw and chuck it in a drill, then use a bench grinder and drill to spin the nuts and round off all the edges.  Put a drop of thread loc on the brass screw near the head and twist one of the rounded nuts down to it.  After it dries, the nut will not move.  I counter sink the holes in the handles to the size of the rounded nuts.  Superglue the leftover nut in one handle and when it dries, just use a screwdriver to tighten the screw into the nut.  The I use a dremel tool to cut off the head of the screw flush. Sand it smooth and repeat for the other holes.   Sounds like another build along to me.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 05:54:57 pm »
Glad ya mentioned the build along eddie or was I gonna suggest it ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Wulamoc

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 09:00:39 pm »
Ya'll came through again!!  Thanks for the input.
Wells
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 01:42:45 am by Wulamoc »
And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. GEN-21:20

Michigan