Author Topic: Bow wood dryer  (Read 1430 times)

Offline cdpbrewer

Bow wood dryer
« on: February 21, 2015, 05:52:36 pm »
Airflow over wood dries it quicker and the humidity in the house is real low of late, so here's a dryer thrown together from stuff that was lying around unused- or junk as the better-half calls my junk stash ::).    She has a point tho'- my junk stash area is about filled hence the small footprint of the dryer.

Basically a muffin fan blows air into the bucket and through and out the top of the thin plastic sleeve atop the bucket.  The hickory bow blanks (8 are in the dryer in the pic)  are stabilized at their tops via a coffee can fastened to two tent poles which are guyed to the bucket's rim with some wire and a turnbuckle. 

A piece of wood is removed from the dryer by rolling up the sleeve up, poking the wood upwards until the lower end of the wood clears the bucket's rim then pulling it downwards and out of the dryer. 

The dryness of the wood is judged by periodically weighting the bow blanks - when the weight stabilizes, I call it dry enough to work into a bow.

Details and more pics are at https://picasaweb.google.com/103354133059599963162/BowWoodDryer?authuser=0&feat=directlink

c.d.

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Bow wood dryer
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 07:37:37 pm »
Well, if that just ain't just plain clever!  Hot dang!

I have used the linen closet with a dehumidifier in it, too.  Side benefit, you get bath towels that are about 115 degrees!  Mighty nice in the winter!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.