Author Topic: australian pine?  (Read 16104 times)

Offline paco664

• ok,ok.. i might have done it...
Re: australian pine?
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2015, 11:06:34 am »
Of all the woods in the world to make a bow from, Casuarina may very well be #1 for not needing to be backed.   Look forward to seeing it.

thanks!
I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"~Col.H.Sanders

Offline paco664

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2015, 12:44:32 am »
got it *(i think) sufficiently shaped and limbs thinned to start tillering..

i was exercising the limbs to kinda see where i was and here is the photo... i wrapped tape on that hinge so there is no further removal of wood in that area for now till i get things evened up...

just for giggles i tested the draw weight and at about 12" it is pulling 75#

no pops... no snaps... *(yet...)

Offline Parnell

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2015, 08:59:18 am »
It's good that you are experimenting.  You should know it is fundamental to the tillering process that you never exceed your intended weight when tillering.  That is, if you want to end up with a 55# bow, you would never exceed that weight at any moment in the process of making that bow.  Stressing those limbs early on, even if just a little, will end up weakening the limbs and compressing the cells on the belly of the bow, permanently. 

You should do what is called "ground tiller" first, always.  That is, place the tip of a limb on the ground and provide even pressure from your handle while looking down the limb to see that you've got an even bend going and that you are not hinging.

Don't know if you already knew this but...hope it helps.  Keep us posted!
1’—>1’

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2015, 09:09:06 am »
I wish I kept records now that i look back at many years of bow making.
But I did not.
A. pine is very dense. I checked the density and it was greater than that of osage.
I don't remember the actual number.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2015, 10:16:47 am »
I see that stuff everywhere I might have to see if I can aquire some.
In all your ways acknowledge  him and he will make your paths straight.

Online Badger

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2015, 10:31:06 am »
  It looks like the hinge is the only thing bending, good way to ruin a bow before you even get started. You don't want set that close to the handle.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2015, 10:37:41 am »
What Steve said, woo !!  till you get some more of that thing bending. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline stickbender

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2015, 10:39:16 am »
     The little quickie survival bow, that Parnell made, was impressive.  I think it was around the 40-45 lb. range.  I had always thought it would not make much of a bow, because as a kid my friends and I made kids bows, and they would not last, but they did have some power.  It is actually not a pine, but in the hickory family.  It is from South America, and is also know as Brazilian oak.  Australian Pine is a misnomer, as there are no "native" pines in Australia.  They have some imported American pines growing there.  There is a "Plethora" of that stuff all over down here.  It makes excellent wood for smoking fish, and meats, and is excellent fire wood, burns long, and hot.  You will notice the hickory, or oak smell to the smoke.  Keep us posted on the progress, and listen to these guys, "For they knoweth what they talketh about, and haveth much in experience, so listen ye well." ;)
And pray thee to keepeth us posted, and lots of pictures!  Thanks for the posting.

Wayne

Offline paco664

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2015, 10:54:41 am »
thanks for the advice fellas..

i have been reading and honestly thought i had thinned it out enough to start bending it a bit and after that photo i wrapped the hinge in tape for no further wood removal there and worked out towards the tips more...

Parnell i remember reading that tidbit about not exceeding the weight you want and ~75# is my goal on this one..

y'all please be patient with me i'm a learning but at 46 the grey matter isn't as spongy as it used to be...

this is where i stopped and went to bed last night... *(i need to make a tillering stand)

Online Badger

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2015, 11:03:12 am »
  The area that is right in front of your left leg needs to be neding a little. Looking better. Outer limbs look a little stiff

Offline paco664

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2015, 11:31:13 am »
  The area that is right in front of your left leg needs to be neding a little. Looking better. Outer limbs look a little stiff
thank you sir!!

i will post more photos when i start on it again

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2015, 11:34:22 am »
Right on the middle of that blue tape is where the hinge is. Mark that spot with an X. Leave that area alone and remove wood from above and below with a scraper- like tool. Exercise at short pulls 10-20 times. Never pull further than it takes to expose a problem.

There are buildalongs on my site.
Jawge

http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/index.html
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline paco664

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2015, 11:55:34 am »
Right on the middle of that blue tape is where the hinge is. Mark that spot with an X. Leave that area alone and remove wood from above and below with a scraper- like tool. Exercise at short pulls 10-20 times. Never pull further than it takes to expose a problem.

There are buildalongs on my site.
Jawge

http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/index.html
thank you sir!

Offline Parnell

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2015, 12:37:41 pm »
Looking better.  Let me know if you will need some help with the string making.  75# is serious business, be fun to see how it comes together.
1’—>1’

Offline paco664

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2015, 03:21:58 pm »
Looking better.  Let me know if you will need some help with the string making.  75# is serious business, be fun to see how it comes together.
i am absolutely going to need help with the string.. i was considering buying a pre made..

But i absolutely would prefer spinning my own. ..  right now I'm using paracord...