Author Topic: Decrowning  (Read 6476 times)

Offline david w.

Decrowning
« on: January 22, 2008, 10:07:51 pm »
Can someone explain decrowning its a little confusing to me?
I found this nice little 4" hickory tree that i want to make a bow out of.  I want to make a flat bow though.  If its tight ringed (the last hickory tree i cut had REALLY thin rings) does it matter if i violate a ring as long as i dont make any deep gashes in the wood?  Will i have to back it?  I want to do an unbacked bow.
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Decrowning
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 10:18:43 pm »
How long is your stave? Hickory saplings usually make good bows without decrowning, a 4" one should do fine-I've made bows from 2" saplings. Pat B's excellent medicine bow that is traveling around the country killing critters was made from a 4" or so hickory I cut several years ago, and the Cayuga replica Community Bow from year before last was made from another small thin-ringed hickory about the same size that I cut at the same time. Neither was decrowned. If it has a high crown, just make it a little longer than usual to compensate. A long, Eastern-woodlands style bend-through-the handle flatbow is a great design for hickory saplings.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline david w.

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 10:20:18 pm »
around 6 feet or so i saw it a while ago and i havent cut it yet i am trying to remember, but htis weekend wont be cold so i will go cut it
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 10:24:27 pm by david w. »

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 10:26:26 pm »
Should be plenty long enough. A lot of times hickories grow kind of oval-shaped, too, so that two sides are flatter. This bow was made from this little 2 1/2" hickory sapling (with stone tools) by my friend Barry McCall.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 10:28:39 pm by Hillbilly »
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline david w.

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 10:27:10 pm »
nice. he left the crown on?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 10:29:08 pm »
Yep.
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline david w.

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 12:09:41 am »
I told my dad about the tree i was going to cut. He said i wasnt going to.  He doesnt want logs laying around the house. What does it matter he would have no problem with boards.   I could just tuck it in the corner and it would be in no one way.  It seems like he doesnt like it when i talk about bows. I know i talk about it constantly but stil. I am going to stop outdoor things and come come with an Xbox or playstation and do that instead, he is so opposed to those things. I would never do that because i love my dad to death but i am never going to learn this bow stuff.

duffontap

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 12:41:51 am »
You may want to just talk to him about it.  Ask him if he thinks you should learn some wood-working skills or invest your time becoming a professional gamer or competitive eater.  Ask nicely. ;)

J. D.

Offline david w.

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 12:46:35 am »
there was just a show on myspace on and he said he was happy i build bows and tie flies and all i ever use the computer for is this website

Offline sailordad

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 12:55:54 am »
               Hi David,
As a parent who has two nearly adult sons,one is 17 going on 18,the other 19 going on 20. The older is,you could say,addicted to those darn video games,the other plays them but would rather do outdoorsy things(weather providing). I can Say from experience that if you ask your dad,and or mom,to have a sit down and talk with him about this in an adult manner,no arguing and/or temper tantrums,just politely explain your point and they would more than likely be willing to let you learn a life long hobby that can bring not only skills into your life but also peace of mind,
I personally find this hobby to be quite therapeutic and a great stress reliever, were as I used to play alot of video games myself( no I'm not real old,only in my 40's) and found them to be quite stressfull at times if played to much. So if you act adult like and talk with them they will come around.

good luck and PEACE,
                                                                                        Tim     ;D
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 01:59:31 am by J. D. Duff »
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

tpoof

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 01:01:59 am »
AAAHHhhh come on Dad! Let the boy build bows! ;D

Far worse things a young lad could be doin... ::)

Offline DanaM

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 10:46:59 am »
Keep the lines of communication open and maintain a respectful attitude to your dad and others at all times.
Then invite him to read some of the forum with ya here and who knows maybe he will get bitten by the bug also.
Good luck david I'm sure it will all work out.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline richpierce

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2008, 01:46:28 pm »
Might or might not be the case here but some kids, even old kids like myself, leave a mess everywhere.  That might be a root of the "problem" and if you clean up things a lot so it's fresh as before, every time you wok on bows, Dad might be more tolerant.

Offline adb

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2008, 05:09:58 pm »
Hey, David

Ask your Dad for help. Attempt to get him involved. Maybe he is feeling hurt about not being involved.

Offline david w.

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2008, 07:51:45 pm »
Dana my dad never has been a bow shooter.  He was never brought up with a bow in the house. He says the only thing wrong with bows is the dont go bang.  He is invovled i ask him what to do and how it looks. He gives me pointers and is one of the best wood workers i know. You should see some of the guns he's built.  He believes if i want to do something i should do most of it myself.

I think he will let me do it. In about six months or maybe less you'll see it posted here