Author Topic: Deer Hunting Indian Style  (Read 4901 times)

Offline Wooden Spring

Deer Hunting Indian Style
« on: February 23, 2015, 10:11:53 am »
OK, consider this as kind of a follow up to a video that I posted some time back about an old indian way of stalking and hunting a deer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkeQzdF0kYY

I caught a LOT of flak in PM's about this method - all from people who have never tried it themselves, or course.

Well, I spoke to a Cherokee over the weekend in North Georgia who hunts like this on private land in NC and swears it's the only way to hunt, but instead of any modern camo, he made himself a deer cloak - just like the way it used to be done. Although he didn't have any pictures to show me of his attire, he pointed me to a few pictures online that show how it's done. I just thought I'd pass it on.

Now, hunting on private, fenced-in land is one thing, but if you're hunting on public land, the question then becomes - how do you do this without getting shot????
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

Re: Deer Hunting Indian Style
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 11:28:56 am »
... how do you do this without getting shot????...

You don't
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline Traxx

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 12:34:06 pm »
And poachers,dont just poach public land.
Id be way too nervous to hunt that way,this day n age.

It is told,that one of Ishi's relations was accidentally shot by a hunter that mistook him for a deer.Wonder if he was hunting this way?

An old friend,saw Ishi doctoring on this man and painted a picture of the scene.It was just days before Ishi was taken prisoner at the slaughter house in Oroville.

Offline Traxx

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 01:35:16 pm »
Yeah, unless I was wearing a blaze orange deer hide, I'd be nervous on public land too. I live in North Georgia which is deep in the heart of "yee-haw du-hut" country, and the woods are loaded with idiots who shoot at movement, not deer. There was an article recently in the GON about a hunter who was hit in the arm by one of the "hey y'all watch this" type of idiots who shot at movement, and nerely severed this poor guy's arm.

The Cherokee gentleman that I spoke with was picking on us white guys, that we don't hunt this way because #1 we're usually too lazy, and #2 we don't shoot before we're sure of what we're shooting at. That's the reason the laws are created for the lowest common denominator.

Whether or not that's true, it's a shame that in the world that we live in, it is difficult, if not impossible to do things "the old way."

Speaking of modern camoflauge, deer stands, scents, rattles, and the like, he told me "just because it's new, doesn't mean it's improved." I'll have to agree with him there. Sadly, unless I make a deer cloak out of blaze orange kevlar, I'll probably stick to summertime (out of season) "hunting" with a camera.
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 05:53:21 pm »
  What ever you do don't do it close to a road here in WV'S EASTERN PANDLE. A road hunter will pop you for sure.

Back to your question. I met crooketarrow in the mountains of western Va. He helped me drag and carted out a 128" 9 POINT. But what really made us instant friends was when we met he had a self bow.

I ask him that same quesion. He was 3/4 IROQOUS he and his wife grew enough gardening.And when he needed meat. He say Got to go kill a deer. ans he's do it.

But he was a still hunter first to the saw the deer. Then he'd usually stalk to a shootable place. And let the deer do most of the work. Anyways I said one day we were in his shop. YOU EVER DO THE DEER HID THING. He said the IROQOUS used it alto

He grew up in a tepee,village of 45 teepees. He said he can remember hunters using a deer skins. But he said you were look down on kinda. It meant you weren't good enough to stalk the deer yourself. But mostly through the years it was just to dangerest.

You didn't stalk the deer with your deer coat on. You saw the deer let them see you. You stayed put and let the deer come to you. You had to set up where the deer couldn't get down wind.

More to it than putting on a skin. CROOKET ARROW  said they ed pickout a good spot where they knew deer would come usually a food scorce or a trail where they knew theyed be seen.

And just like Crooket arrows still hunting-stalking. And letting the deer do all the work.
  Same as putting up a stand and ambushing him as he comes though.
  Not putting you  all hunters down JUST HOW YOU WERE TAUGH.

Ther's one other thing I've only seen in 3 people so far. There was something about being in there prestent's. The Ora ,calmest they sent out. My GRANDDADY was the same way.
  And it tied over in there woodsmenship. Someting I can't explain It didn't matter everytime I saw crooket arrow. He was always just natural ans fitted in where ever he was at or what he was doneing.

The third guy was a guy grandaddy turkey hunted with. He owned a mountain like 20,000 ace rs. At a place in NC called DARK HOLLOW where he lived I a perty nice but old log cabin. His great granddad built. He's the only one I ever saw out gobbler hunt my granddad. He said he'd killed 541 turkeys Spring and fall. Grandaddy killed 312 spring time gobblers 88 SPRINGS IN A ROW.and DID'NT START COUNTING TO SOME TIME IN THE 30'S. Before then They kill just for food.

He said him and his twin brother would find a winter flock. Ans stay with it for days kept just busting them up. He said once they killed 22 young birds in 3 days hunting them. He could KEE-KEE with his mouth just unreal.

Sorry I  sometimes I tend to just go off.

DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING