Author Topic: One way to make a static tip-now a Grumley  (Read 37999 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
One way to make a static tip-now a Grumley
« on: February 23, 2015, 09:01:17 pm »
Here is a brief explanation of my method of steam bending static recurve's. First off, I prefer to have at least the portion Im bending to be at one clean ring on the belly and all edges very rounded and smooth. I also prefer both limbs to be on the same ring in that portion, which means they are very close in thickness as well. This way the same steam time and clamp time yield a perfect match tip to tip. If one is thicker than the other, it will not take the same shape. I also prefer to have the bow nicely floor tillered and very close to bracing before I add the statics. Its easier to do a bit of scraping afterwards and then simply short brace the bow as opposed to starting at floor tiller. Besides, its not good to wrench the statics into the ground/floor during the floor tiller stage. My jig is simple as is my "rig" to make steam as you can see. I steamed these while the tips where barely 1" wide by a heavy 1/2" thick. they stayed under the hood for 30 minutes. I don't have a pic of the tin foil hood, but that's quite simple to imagine. A slow rolling boil is perfect. 2" of water is more than enough. No cracks on either bend, not even a wrinkle on the back. Just be sure to be ready with the jig and clamps, and move swift, make the bend with force but controlled and evenly. The wood will bend right over nicely most often. Cracks and tears happen. I got lucky on this one.

PS - See that little square of paper towel between the bow and pot handle? You need that. That's what keeps the wife off your butt. Without it, yellow water drips down the belly and right unto the stove/counter. BOOM last time you use the kitchen............for a while anyway... ;)
Hope this helps somebody
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 12:08:44 pm by PEARL DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: One way to make a static tip
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 09:05:37 pm »
Dang.  Those pics kinda tell most of the story, and I am sure I could figure out the rest if only I could read!.

Squirrel Bums is one of the best limb-hookers around!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 09:07:42 pm »
Jdub that is EXACTLY what I was hoping for. The pics show exactly how simple it is. It shouldn't be intimidating.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

owlbait

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 09:11:25 pm »
Thanks for sharing PD. Your a wealth of knowledge and great at dispersing that knowledge.

Offline hunterbob

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 09:13:15 pm »
Thanks PD . Just what I needed to see. Now I got to make a static . Lol .or try anyhow. Thanks.

Offline Drewster

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 09:27:32 pm »
PD, great description and inspiring........I'm going to have to try this soon. 
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 09:46:38 pm »
Great how-to! Ive always used dry heat but im startin to think maybe im cheatin myself and workin to hard at it cuz that makes it look super easy. What do you coat the wood with before steaming?... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 09:48:09 pm »
Air!

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 09:53:22 pm »
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2015, 09:58:18 pm »
No varnish, shellac, oil??..... Your off the chain man!!! Lol... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline PatM

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2015, 10:03:28 pm »
You know Pearlie, one day your beginners luck is going to run out.  And that little piece of paper towel is going to let you down too.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2015, 10:05:54 pm »
Air!

Do you used the canned stuff like you get for blowing the dust out of keyboards? Or do you make your own?  I make my own, but it stinks.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 10:12:45 pm by JW_Halverson »
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2015, 10:09:02 pm »
Dang it man, your a couple days to late with this. I bent some statics into a bl last week and they didn't come out that nice. OK, next time at the risk of damaging my marriage I'm gonna sneak into the kitchen and try your method.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline bubby

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2015, 10:16:20 pm »
Same great info i got from pearl a few years ago, only differance is i bought a hot plate and stay out of the kitchen , don't ask why but you know the mantra happy wife happy life ;)
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2015, 10:52:22 pm »
That is why I bought my heat source as well.  >:D my wife is way too good for me, I can't push it.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.