Author Topic: Maple Syrup  (Read 4770 times)

Offline mhof86

Maple Syrup
« on: February 24, 2015, 02:38:55 pm »
Not sure if this should go here or around the camp fire. Either way who is going to be making maple syrup this year?

We are going to give it a try for the first time and I am rather excited about it. Taps should be coming in the mail some time this week and we will get all the trees tapped this weekend. Ordered 10 taps and we will be able to use all of them on our property with some good healthy sugar and silver leaf maples.

Any guidance from the pros would be appreciated. As of right now our plan is to collect over the next few weeks until the sap stops flowing or we max out our storage (about 25gal). Once sap is collected set up a fire pit with grill grate over top and boil the sap down outside. Once it is reduced to syrup make pancakes for dinner :)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Maple Syrup
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 08:49:55 pm »
Tap the Sunny side of the tree
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline chamookman

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 04:17:13 am »
A Friend of Mine in Northern Michigan had a problem with Black Bears getting into His buckets. Have Fun - Homemade syrup is wonderful stuff ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 06:38:07 am »
Stick with sugar maples, silver maples tend to have a bitter flavor. Good luck and have fun!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline bow101

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 10:50:48 pm »
Stick with sugar maples, silver maples tend to have a bitter flavor. Good luck and have fun!

Tracy

You can also get tree sap from the Big leaf maple out west, the yield is much less but there are many people out here that do it.  Apparently its better syrup.   The dark sap is better for you.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 11:45:26 pm »
I had a silver that i tapped till it came down. Tasted great to me. Had my wife do a taste test between mine and very expensive, organic syrup and she could not tell. And trust me she really wanted to prove me wrong 8)

Offline bow101

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 11:13:39 pm »
Apparently maple syrup has many natural healing properties  more so than any fruit, nut or berry... :)
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell