Author Topic: Congratulations to simson for winning January Backed BOM!!!!  (Read 4211 times)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Congratulations to simson for winning January Backed BOM!!!!
« on: February 25, 2015, 04:33:31 pm »
Simon Siess (Simson) from Wacholderweg, Germany won the January Backed BOM contest with his Osage sinewed plains, Cheyenne style 54#/26“ (No. 58). Simon has won so many BOM contest that I have lost count. The German folk have for hundreds of years been recognized for their extraordinary toy making and metal work. Thanks to Simon, bows have long since been added to the “excellent German” craftsmanship! Congratulations Simon on an your well deserved January Backed BOM win!!!!

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,50401.msg689058.html#msg689058

In Simon’s words: This is no replica bow. It is a plains style 50“ long for a 26“ draw. The tips are flipped backwards, of course a bendy handle. Complete belly is painted with earth pigments (orange, red, bright ocre, dark blue). The backing is sinew in two layers, conventional done in two layers. The first at 2014 Feb 14, the second at 2014 Aug 27 – so call it a long lasting project, haha. Wood is about ⅔, sinew about ⅓ of thickness. At widest point 1¼”  x  ½”. I tillered in November and dressed her up and finished her til now. This bow holds a nice reflex of 5”. Handle is brain tanned buckskin, cord is same material. Double diamond nock on the bottom, single kerf on upper. The tips are decorated on the back with sheeted mica (grounded mineral), applied in the wet glue. When the light comes from the back it looks like simple dark pigments, but when the light comes from the opposite the surface is shiny and sparkling (hard to take suitable pics).I saw this a while ago on a bow from Chuck Loeffler here on PA. Finally I found the drawing of the original in the book of Jim Hamm & Steve Allely (Encyclopedia). BTW. For me one of the most interesting books! Also in this book I found a nice belly painted Cheyenne bow. Thought I give the painting a try on mine. So this bow is a mix of some things found on different originals. Only a few measurements are done for the painting, most just by eyeballing and freehand painting. A carefully sanding with 800 grit and rubbing in an oily dark brown pigment solution brought the desired antique look.

The folks across the pond on the Primitive Archer Forum had this to say:
 Simson, Gorgeous bend, paint, sinew work...   Very nice in ALL aspects... Don
Very beautiful bow and as always an excellent tiller. I really like the finish work on it. Also your sinew is top notch! Every time I see one of your bows posted I always make sure I read that post. Very nice, Patrick.
You went a looooong way to dress up this bow and make it look fancy.  But the photograph of full draw with the ellipse photoshopped into it is what really speaks to me. 

The tiller is excellent!  No one can accuse you of hiding a poorly made bow with lots of fancy decoration!!!  That bow is a buffalo's nightmare.  JW
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 04:41:11 pm by criveraville »
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
Re: Congratulations to simson for winning January Backed BOM!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 05:34:27 pm »
Congrats Simon! She is a sweet one!.... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Re: Congratulations to simson for winning January Backed BOM!!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 07:40:02 am »
 :)
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.