Author Topic: Chrysal or crack  (Read 14681 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Chrysal or crack
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2015, 09:50:43 pm »
Looks like a lunar ring to me  >:D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2015, 09:57:57 pm »
That's a crack no doubt in my mind. The spot the crack is in is hardly doing much bending so I highly doubt it's a chrysal
I like osage

Offline DC

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2015, 10:11:58 pm »
  I would pint to the dry heat as the cause. Did you have the bow on a caul when you heated it?

Yes. The bow is 1" wide at that point and the caul is a 2x8, so 1 1/2".

Offline bow101

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2015, 10:20:39 pm »
Thats a shame she cracked.  I think that steaming could cause some issues as well, after all you are stretching the fibers either way.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline DC

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2015, 10:30:23 pm »
Ah, ship happens. I will try another one. I'll get it a little thinner before I steam in the recurves. I might use dry heat. When I steamed the tips on this one they pulled out quite a bit. When I heat treated them they stayed in a lot better.

Offline DC

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2015, 11:36:52 pm »
I believe that if you clean it a little and flood with thin superglue you MAY be good. Thats because it will be in compression for the rest of it's life. If you do it now you might save the bow in the long run. Again just my opinion
rich

I tried to flood it with CA but I think the tung oil has already filled the crack, it didn't look like any CA went in. I'll shoot it til it gets worse.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2015, 03:52:46 am »
Chrysals are usually straight and at an angle, look more like hairs, less obvious than that. I'd say that's a crack.
IMO a pathc would fix it, clean cracks on the belly aren't too bad as long as they are not buckling up.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline WillS

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2015, 04:37:43 am »
Here is a picture of a chrysal on one of the first bows I made as a comparison.  It looked to me like the "crack" was below the area that you recurved.  Could be a crack - but if it below where you recurved the tip, you can't feel it, and it doesn't open up when you stress it, I am sticking with chrysal.  BWTH do I know?   ???

That's not a chrysal either ;)

That's a crack.  Chrysals always run diagonally because of what they are, and are always lighter in colour.  They also don't wiggle about and zig zag like that.  Both images are cracks, not chrysals.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2015, 05:56:33 am »
Looks like a crack from the bending, if it's not to deep it will most likely be fine. As Gordon said, not likely to Chrystal in that are of the limb. Super glue and maybe a wrap ,not even sure that is necessary ,the pressure is pulling it together not apart if it is just a crack and I think it is. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2015, 09:15:53 am »
That knot acted as a fulcrum and stretched her right out until it tore. That's a tough bend for anybody to make with any type of heat. I doubt it will go anywhere based on where it is located.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PatM

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2015, 09:19:03 am »
  I would pint to the dry heat as the cause. Did you have the bow on a caul when you heated it?

Yes. The bow is 1" wide at that point and the caul is a 2x8, so 1 1/2".
Steamed wood  that is  held under tension and then hit with dry heat does not like that. It's OK to just support the curve but not to try to get a bit more curve.
 Personally I would skim off a bit of belly thickness on both curves and lay down a  layer or two of thinner wood to replace it and then blend everything smooth.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2015, 09:44:33 am »
I'd learn from my mistakes, as I've made more than my share, and make another one. I wish I took my advice.

But...when I first started I'd try to rescue these problem bows with varying degrees of success.

Lay down some epoxy and wrap it with thread. Put more epoxy over the thread. hope for the best.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline DC

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2015, 12:39:21 pm »
Thank everyone for the advice.

Jawge I have definitely learned something,"Don't try to bend big hooks in thick wood"

PatM I was seriously considering a patch as Del suggested but I like your idea better. It would look like I did it on purpose. You'll all have to keep a secret.

PD I did notch the caul to make room for the knot but maybe not enough. I do believe the knot had a bearing on this.   

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2015, 01:00:18 pm »
  Unless proven different by breaking news, THAT is a crack resulting from the recurving process.  3/4" is too thick, with any wood I know of.   I have done this exact thing two dozen times, and it's an easy fix.

Get a plane, sandpaper, double cut flat file, and/ or scraper, and flatten the belly of the limb for a couple inches each side, flat LATERALLY, even, and long enough to matter.  Then cut a 1/8" slat of something beatiful and strong, prebend it to the original curve with boiling, steam, or microwave.  Glue it on and blend it with the limb./  Presto, beautiful overlay, and durable recurves.

Offline DC

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2015, 01:06:37 pm »
PatM mentioned a layer or 'two'. The crack looks like it's less than 1/16" where it comes to the edge. Could I use two layers of veneer or am I better off with one thickness. With one thickness I only have one glue line to screw up :-[