Author Topic: Chrysal or crack  (Read 14682 times)

Offline Springbuck

Re: Chrysal or crack
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2015, 08:00:34 pm »
Pat, that is good to know about P. Walnut.  I bought some off ebay once and liked it a lot.  It was like slightly lighter ipe.

Marc and Pat, Re: glueing fibers on the back.  I don't think this is the answer either, and I wouldn't do it like joachimM is suggesting, but T.Baker did it in TBB, and I have used linen cloth patches just like this before. Once to arrest a fret, and a couple times to "put wood back".  It works.  I have even built up low spot by applying a 1" long patch with TB III, blending it with a scraper, attaching a 2" patch, blending, and then a 3" patch, which I combed out at the edges while wet.  Then, I wrapped the whole patch with glued on linen thread.  Those two bows are still shooting.

Offline DC

« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2015, 09:59:54 pm »
This bow broke today. Not because of the crack on the recurve. I was having trouble with the bowyers knot slipping so I twisted a loop to replace it. I got the string a little short and the brace height went to about 8"(maybe) I thought I would pull it anyway. Stupid me. Big mistake. It popped a splinter about a half inch wide. My wife heard it in the next room. I tried to take a pic but it won't show. It was a good bow. I got 500 or more shots through it. I will definitely make another like it.

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2015, 10:40:18 pm »
i thought you were talking about meth and crack lol  ;D
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.