Author Topic: How to haft with sinew  (Read 4810 times)

Offline Chippintuff

How to haft with sinew
« on: February 20, 2015, 11:04:05 pm »
What is the best way to apply sinew to a hafting? Should the sinew be soaked in anything to get it limp enough to perfectly overlay what is under it? If so, what is good and what is best? You may recommend hide glue, but I don't have any, and I don't know how to make it. Is there a glue that can be found at the corner hardware store that does a good job?

WA

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: How to haft with sinew
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 11:15:45 pm »
Someone is gonna say it, so I might as well be the one...unflavored gelatin is hide glue. Highest grade hide glue, odorless, colorless, tasteless hide glue. 

Soak your sinew in warm, but not hot water until it is very soft and pliable, blot dry with a soft cotton towel.  then simply dredge the sinew thru the hide glue and apply.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 01:23:20 am »
Yep, and for those small jobs, you can chew the sinew til it is soft, add just a small pinch of the knox gelatin in your mouth and swish it around a bit and then apply the sinew.  it will make your lips a little sticky.   :o

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 04:09:12 pm »
I chew sinew but don't add the Knox. Your saliva and the sinew makes its own glue.  After it is soft I wrap it around the hafting and when I get to the end of a strand I lick my fingers and squeeze my thumb and forefinger over the sinew while rotating the shaft(or whatever. This tightens the sinew and glues the end down. Once dry I ad a sealer like pitch varnish or super glue. TBIII works too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 04:14:50 pm »
I do the same as Pat B until the end on the last wrap "per one of Billy Berger's videos" I will put the loose end under the last full wrap and pull it tight cut it up tight and let it dry. I do not even put a sealer on it. So for it has worked even here in the wet side of Washington State. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 12:45:54 am »
Thanks for the responses. I should be able to handle it from here.

WA

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 12:59:07 pm »
I chew sinew but don't add the Knox. Your saliva and the sinew makes its own glue.  After it is soft I wrap it around the hafting and when I get to the end of a strand I lick my fingers and squeeze my thumb and forefinger over the sinew while rotating the shaft(or whatever. This tightens the sinew and glues the end down. Once dry I ad a sealer like pitch varnish or super glue. TBIII works too.

When I do, that's exactly how I do. Its amazing how it locks itself down as it dries.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.