Author Topic: Sycamore Bow Staves (finished bow full draw on page 3 toward bottom)  (Read 30621 times)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
I am in the Process of making a Rawhide Backed Sycamore Bow...in the West Coast Paddle Bow Design.....I am wondering if any of You has any experience with this Wood....I have made a few D-Bow's over the Years from it....it seems to have a lot of zip for a Wood of such weight....I would appreciate any advice on it I can....will add pictures as it progresses
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 01:58:51 pm by Justin Snyder »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Sycamore Bow Staves
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 10:20:22 pm »
 I haven't tried it. But I would like to cut down two trees in my neighbors yard. I'm the recipient of all his leaves. But seriously, I've heard pro's and con about using it. Seems it works real well for wide,2" bows. I'll be looking forward to seeing it .
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 11:04:18 pm »
I hear ya Eddie - remember that discussion between you and bob :). Them leaves are big and if they shed like these oaks I have all over the yard it's a pain in the A$$. Hopefully bob will chime in - he's the only one I've heard on here that's experienced sycamore..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 11:08:01 pm »
 :D :D, Paul, forgot about that. My neighbors gone to N.C. this weekend. I'll probally take my leaf blower and shoot them back to his yard ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 11:13:52 pm »
Take your chainsaw and make some bows, hahaha ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 01:58:08 am »
 " Yankee " ifn its the American sycamore it will make great bows. There is a oriental planetree( Common name fer these trees) it aint as good (common ornamental tree on streets and in yards ). Planatus occidentalus ( american sycamore ) me thinks is the one ya want.  I have made a few ( like 8 er so ) and taken game with em' and I have never been disapointed. As ya know its tough as hell, heavy and coarse. Now ifn Eddie and I can "frigure " out how ta get his neighbors tree down without him noticin' ! ;D Ifn its a short paddle bow (how short -36 -40 " ?) 2 1/2 " er 2 3/4 " wide sounds good ta me at its widest point. Keep posted on this. Good luck........bob
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 02:00:56 am by Kowechobe »

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 04:22:15 am »
" Yankee " ifn its the American sycamore it will make great bows. I have made a few ( like 8 er so ) and taken game with em' and I have never been disapointed. As ya know its tough as hell, heavy and coarse.  Ifn its a short paddle bow (how short -36 -40 " ?) 2 1/2 " er 2 3/4 " wide sounds good ta me at its widest point. Keep posted on this. Good luck........bob

It's going to be 66" ntn....2 1/4" wide with an 1 1/4" wide Handle......Pin Nocks....with Whitetail Rawhide that I made last year....I am still tossing around whether to paint it in the Traditional West Coasty ways....or back it with Snake Skin too
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 01:00:41 pm »
well here are a few pictures of it so far.....I only have it tillered to 24 inches on a short string now....looks to me like the Right Limbs a bit too stiff still....so I have some Tiller issues as of yet....The Rawhide turned out good.....I love my Pin Nocks....cant seem to make a normal nock any more...I like the West Coast and Eastern Woodlands Style nocks the Best...they have Character....Hit me up Guys ....I need all the Help I can get

[attachment deleted by admin]
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 01:03:21 pm »
One more

2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 01:45:45 pm »
Lookin' good. Like you said, the right limb still looks a little flat a midlimb, but overall, it's coming along great.Your bow is a bit long to classify as a West Coast paddle bow, but it's almost a dead ringer for the Sudbury bow that was taken from a Wampanoag  warrior killed in Massachucetts in 1660. Looks like the sycamore is holding up great without much set. I've seen quartersawn sycamore lumber, and it has a really nice looking grain.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 01:47:53 pm by Hillbilly »
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 02:04:54 pm »
this is Quarter Sawn too....it was never Kiln Dried though...I bought  some still wet two years ago and have had it in the Garage drying since then...it was a full 2"x12' board ...rough cut on one side planed on the other...I like the feel of it so far has a lot of resilience...I like to make my Paddle Bows a bit longer then the Authentic ones....so I can get 28-30 inch Draw Length from them safely....but they are still normally 2 1/2" wide at least ....this one ended up narrower though!!! And you are right it does really resemble the Sudbury Bow doesn't it!!
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 02:22:18 pm »
That's coming along nice, really has nice graceful lines to it.

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 02:47:06 pm »
Yankee, Your bow is coming along nicely. I agree with everyone else about how well you have done on this one. If it were me, I'd shoot the bow a few hundred times before I backed it with snake skin or a painted design, just in case. ;D The rawhide backing should help hold it together but except for Bob, I've not hears of a anyone making a sycamore bow.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2008, 02:54:24 pm »
Thanks Pat....I have made a few D-Bows from Scamore....but never a wide Limbed Bow like this....I am going to take my sweet time and make sure that I nail the Tiller ....so it wont Self-Destruct like the one that Marc posted!!! I have had that happen twice...once in the House and the other in the Garage....and neither one was pretty either..
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2008, 03:50:49 pm »
That's coming along nice, really has nice graceful lines to it.

Alan

Thanks Alan...I appreciate the Compliments too....and I think I finally nailed the Tiller on this one.....what do you Guys think???

2024...We Will Overcome