Author Topic: Sycamore Bow Staves (finished bow full draw on page 3 toward bottom)  (Read 30616 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Sycamore Bow Staves
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2008, 11:20:20 am »
  Great looking bow. That Python works more like leather than snakeskin doesn't it?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2008, 06:19:55 pm »
Hey fellas I dont have any access to large snakes in my area, wheres a good place to get skins from?
knapp 'um if you got 'um

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2008, 08:22:23 pm »
....Mike Yancy at Pine Hollow Longbows.........bob

SimonUK

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2008, 08:35:21 pm »
Guys, what's a paddle bow?  I can see the fades are more gentle, but are there any other defining features?

Really nice bow yankeemongiat, it has a great look.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2008, 10:38:02 pm »
Simon....this isn't a True Paddle Bow....it is a Longarmed Yankees Version of a Short Wide Limbed West Coast Indian Paddle Bow.....A true Paddle Bow is like 44 inches Long and 2 1/2 to 3 inches wide at the Fades....all graceful sweeping curves.... I made this one look darned near like a Wampanoag Bow..... more than a Paddle Bow....I will post Pictures of some of my other Paddle Bows....real Paddle Bow!!

As for the Snake Skins....I buy from Yancey when He has them....right now He is running Slim....try eBay also for rattlers.....

As for the Python....it was as thick as the Doe rawhide I applied first....so yes it really is like Rawhide more than a Skin....I would sure like to get me a set of Copperheads for a Bow.....or another set of Sturgeon Skin....hint ....hint....got rattlers to possibly trade too....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2008, 10:42:07 pm »
Here are a couple Paddlers

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2008, 10:43:05 pm »
well thats the wrong Picture!!!! Thats one Paddle and a Ojibwa Bow.....my Tribe.........
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 10:45:53 pm by yankeemongiat »
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2008, 10:44:46 pm »
here are two Paddle Bows

2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2008, 08:17:36 am »
Beautiful bows,I guess the question was answered about Sycamore making a bow.
All I knew about it was I lost a couple of wedges in some I was cutting and trying to split for fire wood,So I knew it was tough.Nice job. :) I had to burn them out. ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

SimonUK

« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2008, 08:50:20 am »
Thanks yankeemongiat, those are very beautiful bows. It must be easier to get a bend in the handle with that design too.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2008, 01:25:52 am »
Well I have the Bow unwrapped....Python Hide Trimmed....I sanded it down on the edges to blend the Skin and Rawhide in better....now it's ready for a good finish....will post Pictures of it once the Bow is sealed and the Tips are Sinew Wrapped
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2008, 02:06:28 am »
Got two coats of Tru-Oil on it now....and have the Tips Sinew wrapped for the first 3 inches....mainly to keep the Snake and rawhide from lifting....also I like the way it looks to....may dye the Sinew Black to highlight the Skins before I am done...will post pictures tomorrow...
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2008, 12:28:13 am »
Well ... I have 4 Coats of Tru-Oil on it now (not my favorite finish)....may out a couple More....I can still feel the Scales....but then I kinda like that too.......I wrapped the Tips for a couple inches with Sinew,,,,,Now I have to decide whether to put a few more coats on it...and make it like Glass...or buff it down to remove the Gloss all together........I usually just Grease them and be done with it....but with the Rawhide and Snake....I thought it needed a better Finish than that...then I can get started on the Grip....it looks Good to me ....tiller wise....and it really shoots nice...even though it came in under the 55 pounds I was hoping for....but I knocked the feathers off of two Arrows tonight with it....I can get 2 inch groups with it at 15 yards,,,,thats as far as I could see in the near dark  tonight after work

2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2008, 10:08:49 am »
Looks great to me yankee, of course I'm prejudiced as yer a fellow Yooper ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2008, 12:38:00 am »
What looks Great Dana....my perfect stance.....look at that Form.....or were you taking about the Bow!!!!!!!!...sure glad I am right handed and I cover my Face when I draw....I still am in Cognito (spelling) here!!! Well I broke down and coated it once more....I could still feel Scales.....so I will have to wait a day or two more before I put the Leather Grip on it.......I have been working 12 hour days for a week and a half....so time is limited for working on this to finish it.....but I am glad you like it....and I have learned something from it too....Sycamore makes a pretty zippy little Bow....and really has nice grain too
2024...We Will Overcome